Community Fair/cupcakes Safe?

Baking By rpaige Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 2:23am by crunchyoatmeal

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make dozens of cupcakes or mini loaf cakes as a fundraiser for my son's football team at our small community fair. We will be there about four hours.

If I make Indydebi's buttercream (in CC recipe section) in about three colors and keep the decorating bags in a cooler and just offer a simple decoration on top of the treat as a child buys one, would this be considered safe? Would you suggest something different? Are there concerns that I should consider?

I did not want to decorate in advance and have them sitting out in the heat, I think they would just be a melted mess and maybe unsafe?

I appreciate your thoughts, advice and/or suggestions. I am new to selling products in a hot, outdoor setting.

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 6

Decorate in advance. Indy's bc will be fine. You do NOT want to decorate to order, even a simple swirl.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 6

Decorate them in advance and keep them in a cooler with ice packs. I do this every week for a farmer's market and it works fine. If you can find those plastic cupcake containers like you see at grocery stores it makes it even easier.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 9:49am
post #4 of 6

I have been doing farmers markets for 2 years now, and I use SMBC and haven't had a problem with it as far as someone getting sick. I keep them out of the sun. That, not heat seems to be my worst enemy. I also have kept them on ice packs in my under my containers, (and yes I realize that cold air flows down). With SMBC, I just bring my eggs up to 165 degrees while mixing it with the sugar, and that kills salmonella. Haven't had any complaints.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaige

I have been asked to make dozens of cupcakes or mini loaf cakes as a fundraiser for my son's football team at our small community fair. We will be there about four hours.

If I make Indydebi's buttercream (in CC recipe section) in about three colors and keep the decorating bags in a cooler and just offer a simple decoration on top of the treat as a child buys one, would this be considered safe? Would you suggest something different? Are there concerns that I should consider?

I did not want to decorate in advance and have them sitting out in the heat, I think they would just be a melted mess and maybe unsafe?

I appreciate your thoughts, advice and/or suggestions. I am new to selling products in a hot, outdoor setting.

I made a few dozen cupcakes using Indydebi's recipe for my niece's 1st birthday and her party was at a forest preserve on June 26th. I did keep them out of the sun as others advised but we didn't eat them until almost 4 hours later and they were perfect. I chose her recipe specifically because I knew I would be outside with no storage options. icon_biggrin.gif

crunchyoatmeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crunchyoatmeal Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:23am
post #6 of 6

let me preface- sorry to hijack icon_biggrin.gif but
Leah_s- is there a safety reason to not decorating to order or do you just say that because it would be a PIA? I ask because I may need to do that in the future and just want to make sure that I am not doing anything that would question safety.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%