Buttercream Icing

Decorating By NurseCyndi Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 3:04am by bluedaisies

NurseCyndi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NurseCyndi Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:19am
post #1 of 4

I have a question, IDK about everyone else but when ever I make my own buttercream icing using the recipe I got from my Wilton class. My family members keep saying that it is too sweet. Has anyone had this experience, if so what have you done differently?

3 replies
Jimbos76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jimbos76 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 4

It's all personal taste but since you are just starting out, I would try different recipes until you find one that you like. There are SO many buttercream recipes on this site and many of them are crusting (what you need for class). Just remember no matter what recipe you end up with, there will always be someone who doesn't care for it! Just go with the majority! Good luck!

imakecake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecake17 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:34am
post #3 of 4

I also use Wilton's recipe for buttercream, but I use all butter instead of butter and shortening. I always get compliments on it and usually people tell me they like it because its not overly sweet. So, maybe using all butter would make a difference for you? Good luck! icon_smile.gif

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 4

You might also try different brands of ingredients. I didn't care for the Wilton recipe either. But I switched to Publix brand shortening and Bakers chocolate for my chocolate additive instead of powder. MUCH better!
Oh, and if you're not adding your pinch of salt, try that. I didn't think it'd make a difference, but surprisingly it can. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%