Can I?

Decorating By rosereed55 Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 4:31am by Darthburn

rosereed55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosereed55 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 9

Can I freeze my cake still like normal - dirty ice it and then put the fondant on? This will be my first time ever making let alone working with fondant. I usually freeze my cakes first, then fill, stack and dirty ice them. Will the fondant still work right if I freeze my cake first? And will the fondant still stick once the cake thaws out? Help me please! Any tips and advice would be great!

8 replies
Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 9

Yes you can put fondant on a frozen cake... I think that's what you're asking. Just spray the cake with a light mist of water from a spray bottle to help the fondant stick.

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 9

I always bake, fill, dirty ice, and put in freezer for about 30 min, then I take the cake out and wrap good with plastic wrap and freeze...the day I'm decorating, I take the cake out to thaw, leave plastic wrap on...all the moisture will collect on top of wrap as it thaws...then unwrap and put in your fondant, and decorate. I've never had a problem. Be sure to allow enough thawing time, the bigger the tier the longer it takes to thaw...like a 12 inch I usually allow at least 4 hours or so...good luck! HTH

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 9

Wow Darthburn I didn't know that. I will have to try putting the fondant on a frozen cake...thanks!

Darthburn Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 9

JSK it sounds as if you have it down to a science as it is! You're answer was detailed and fantastic!
I have done my cream cheese icing cakes like this because it never wants to crust well.
I saw Buddy do it time after time also... fondant on frozen.
I guess if i were worried about anything, it would be from air bubbles under the fondant as it thaws? But i haven't experienced it yet.

Good luck!
If it works, my name is Darthburn
If not, my name is Indidebi ! icon_biggrin.gif

rosereed55 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:30am
post #6 of 9

What do you mean by air bubbles under the fondant as it thaws? I've been seeing people mention about the air bubbles - but I'm not sure I understand. Is it something that can happen after fondant is put on the cake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

JSK it sounds as if you have it down to a science as it is! You're answer was detailed and fantastic!
I have done my cream cheese icing cakes like this because it never wants to crust well.
I saw Buddy do it time after time also... fondant on frozen.
I guess if i were worried about anything, it would be from air bubbles under the fondant as it thaws? But i haven't experienced it yet.

Good luck!
If it works, my name is Darthburn
If not, my name is Indidebi ! icon_biggrin.gif

Darthburn Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:02am
post #7 of 9

Yeah I had a problem with air bubbles under the fondant a while back. Thought I was trapping air as I put the fondant on but it turns out I wasn't letting the cake settle enough. I would bake, fill, ice all in about 10 hours and never give the cake time to settle. I started making them a day before and putting them in the fridge and that solved my issue.

rosereed55 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:27am
post #8 of 9

I'm definetly new to this whole fondant thing and to a lot of cake stuff too. I've made and decorated but just now starting to try and learn more. So, what do you mean by letting the cake settle? So what was the process and time frame that you used when making, filling, icing and covering in fondant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthburn

Yeah I had a problem with air bubbles under the fondant a while back. Thought I was trapping air as I put the fondant on but it turns out I wasn't letting the cake settle enough. I would bake, fill, ice all in about 10 hours and never give the cake time to settle. I started making them a day before and putting them in the fridge and that solved my issue.

Darthburn Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:31am
post #9 of 9

Lol getting kinda technical on me...

I usually bake the cakes and let them sit out for a few hours. Sometimes I freeze just the cakes and fill the next day. Sometimes I fill and ice and then freeze.
Most the time I make the cakes, fridge, fill and ice, then fridge, then fondant. It really depends for me on what Im making, when its due, and what it has for decorations

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%