Chocolate Buttercream?

Baking By shar7599 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 9:58pm by Dana0323

shar7599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar7599 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 5

So I tried a new chocolate buttercream recipe and I don't like it. It has that weird chocolate chip after taste and it's very light colored, even when I added more chocolate to try to darken it up. It turned out looking more like chocolate mousse.

Does anyone have a tried and true chocolate BC recipe that they don't mind sharing? I will use it to frost the cake, I won't be coloring this one in fondant. I use Edna's BC for my fondant covered cakes, is there a way to make that chocolate? The only thing about that is her BC is crusting. This cake will just have BC on the outside and will have to be put in the fridge overnight, I don't the outside of the cake to look hard. So basically what I need a good chocolate frosting that holds up well in the fridge and doesn't look dried out.

4 replies
tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:13am
post #2 of 5

not sure if you are wanting a bc with butter or with shortening, but my favorite chocolate bc recipe comes right off the back of the hershey cocoa box! i've been using it for years. it has a rich chocolate flavor. everyone loves it. i actually use the recipe on the box for my chocolate cake also. our family loves to keep it in the fridge, and it's always delicious! maybe give that one a try! icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:32am
post #3 of 5

I also use the recipe on the Hershey can. You can add as much cocoa as you like to get the desired shade and/or flavor of chocolate you want. Most cakes and icings I like at room temp, but the Hershey chocolate cake and icing recipe on the can is SOOOOOO good cold! Jumbo glass of ice cold milk on the side, please. icon_smile.gif

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #4 of 5

I use indydeb's bc recipe and then add 1/2 cup dark hershey's cocoa powder and 2 oz of melted unsweetened chocolate. I do add a bit more milk to get the consistancy right. It's delicious!

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 5

So does Indydeb's hold up to stacking and travel at high temps, like 100 degrees out? I'm making a shower cake with choc on the bottom(10") and van. buttercream on the top (6"). I don't use chocolate much, and Chocolate Buttercream Dream is the one I tried a few years ago.
Thanks for you help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%