Cupcake Challenge Help

Baking By kger Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 12

i am in a civic organization that will be holding a cupcake challenge in November. Cupcakes will be judged on look, taste, and overall uniqueness. I have no idea what the competition is like, but I'm gonna WIN! What are the most amazing cupcake flavors and designs you've come across? What would you do if you were entering a cupcake contest?

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 12

If you google 'cupcake designs' OR 'Christmas designs' OR many other themes you will get pages and pages of ideas for your decorating.
Ever watch "CupCake Wars" on tv? There are some really *different* flavor ideas on that program! icon_smile.gif
Beer cc's w/carmel corn topping
Maple w/bacon
Lettuce cake w/honey mustard b'cream
just to name a few icon_smile.gif

kger Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 12

I'm feeling like design and flavor should be incorporated into 1 theme, like caramel apple decorated as those caramel apples with a stick and nuts. Or mocha/coffee flavored in coffee cups. Get my drift? There are tons of random flavors and designs, but I'm curious to get opinions of others who have actually tried recipes or won previous contests.

And I actually don't watch tv.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

Yum on the Sweet Potato Cider. Ick on the pulled pork and corn. I dare someone to make that!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 12

I have tried the potatoe cider and it is good.... some of those recipes from that show Cupcake Wars are just too strange for me.. they might be different, but don't think taste is great..

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 12

Is there a local food or dessert that is like a hometown staple? If so, I would incorporate those flavors into a cupcake and start playing around

kger Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 12

Oh, good thinking! I'm actually in the DC Metro area, so no, there's no special food or flavor that I can think of.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 12

Why not do cupcakes on the theme of presidents since you are from DC. Like Cherry from George Washington, Peanuts because of Jimmy Carter.
I mean if you were going to go that way. Just a suggestion. HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 12

I agree on the theme idea. How many cupcakes are you allowed to submit, and are they presented together?

kger Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:50pm
post #12 of 12

I can submit 6. Not sure if they can be presented as 1 cohesive unit, but they definitely would have to stand alone, so that would mean 6 Jimmy Carter peanut cupcakes, which would be a little strange and random. Cherry blossoms are a big deal in DC, so I might be able to do something along those lines. But I'm actually in Northern Virginia, which has its own history and culture, so I wouldn't want to go too "dc." George Washington and anything in Va revolutionary history would work, since it's the DAR. GW "chopped down the cherry tree" so I could do some kind of cherry flavor, and then figure out some GW decoration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%