How Do I Make Different Ganache Flavors

Baking By iris219 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 11:30am by iris219

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 7

hi everyone, I need some help. I want to make different flavor ganaches but don't know where even to begin on this.

I am making differnt layer stacked cakes, 1 layer is dreamsickle cake with dreamsickle frosting, the 2nd layer is pineapple cake with pina colada frosting, and the 3rd layer is either red velvet or cookie N cream cake.

I'm sure I could use the chocolate ganache for the cookie & cream/red velvet ones but don't want to use chocolate for the pineapple or dreamsickle cakes and wanted to know if there is a way I can make ganaches in the pineapple/dreamsickle flavors?

These stacked cakes will be covered in fondant so this is why I want to use ganache rather than buttercream.

Can anyone help?

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 7

What about making ganache using white chocolate?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 7

I understand that you can flavour chocolate ganache with oil-based candy flavorings. LorAnn makes a Grand Marnier (orange brandy) flavour and Getsuckered.com has pineapple candy flavouring that is suitable for chocolate. A friend who makes chocolate truffles says that you must use the oil based to prevent seizing of the chocolate but thinks that if it's a chocolate compound (chocolate and cream) you can use any flavouring. Good luck. Your cake idea sounds wonderful

southerncross Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 7

Iris...your post got me thinking about a pina colada cake in Sept. so I was searching through Getsuckered' website and found orange sherbet flavoring...how dreamsicle is that!

http://www.getsuckered.com/Product/Orange-Sherbet-Candy-Flavoring-Oil__00B-ORASHE.aspx

southerncross Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 7

Iris...your post got me thinking about a pina colada cake in Sept. so I was searching through Getsuckered' website and found orange sherbet flavoring...how dreamsicle is that!

http://www.getsuckered.com/Product/Orange-Sherbet-Candy-Flavoring-Oil__00B-ORASHE.aspx

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 7

If you are flavoring tempered (or coating) chocolate that you will be setting back up into bars, candies, cake pop covering, whatever, then yes you need to use an oil based flavoring so that the chocolate doesn't seize (coating chocolate is no different)

Ganache, however, is a different animal as it already has all that liquid in it to take it past the point of seizing. You can flavor it with oils, extracts, liquors, whatever you like. Just take the liquid amount into consideration - more that a tiny bit will make you ganache thinner and you will need to reduce your cream accordingly.

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:30am
post #7 of 7

@ TexasSugar-Was thinking of white chocolate but is it more difficult to use than regular chocolate?

@ southerncross, thank you for the website. That orange sherbert sounds great.

@ KoryAK -thank you for the tip. will be playing around with the ganache as soon as I get the flavor oils.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%