Drum Set Topper Tutorial

Decorating By KMKakes Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 7:21am by Rosiepan

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone know how I can make a drum set cake topper for a sheet cake? or Does anyone mind sharing a link to a tutorial for it? Thanks in Advance

6 replies
KMKakes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 10:15am
post #2 of 7

Has anyone done a drum set topper and know how it is supported? Please I need help like the day before yesterday. And yes I have went thru the cc search button and the cake gallery. No luck with help even after posting and asking others for help.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:30am
post #3 of 7

http://thesweettrick.wordpress.com/2011/06/01/drum-set-cake/
Sorry, no tutorial to offer but this looks like it could be achieved with thin dowels and the drums formed out of pastillage.
Google images have a few good examples you could use for reference in how they are set up.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&xhr=t&q=drum+set+cake+topper&cp=19&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=543&wrapid=tljp1312629768573034&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

KMKakes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks Rosiepan.
A percentage of the drum sets in your links, I have actually already looked at them or seen some similar. I am still trying to figure out how to have the small drums on the side of the bass drum, to appear as if it is floating on a stand.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

Thanks Rosiepan.
A percentage of the drum sets in your links, I have actually already looked at them or seen some similar. I am still trying to figure out how to have the small drums on the side of the bass drum, to appear as if it is floating on a stand.

I would think they are just attached with royal icing it seems on the picture and held up with some foil or wedges of foam until they are dried. If they are made out of pastillage they are very light so this would work or use some thin dowels or lolly sticks

KMKakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:45am
post #6 of 7

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the result of what I finally did:
I used royal icing to adhere the cymbals to the lollipop sticks. I wanted to use cake covered fondant for the drums but the lollipop sticks kept going straight thru. RKT worked with the use of wilton candy? melted and placed upon the tips of the lollipop sticks pushed thru the rkt. One problem I still had was the weight of the drums wouldn't stay elevated giving the floating look on my buttercream. It all fell flush with the buttercream.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:21am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMKakes

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the result of what I finally did:
I used royal icing to adhere the cymbals to the lollipop sticks. I wanted to use cake covered fondant for the drums but the lollipop sticks kept going straight thru. RKT worked with the use of wilton candy? melted and placed upon the tips of the lollipop sticks pushed thru the rkt. One problem I still had was the weight of the drums wouldn't stay elevated giving the floating look on my buttercream. It all fell flush with the buttercream.

Seem you forgot to load the picture lOl Glad you finally figured something out.It's all a learning curve. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%