Urgent! Crack In Bottom Tier

Decorating By LisaPeps Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 11:26am by LisaPeps

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 12

I just delivered a 3 tier topsy turvy wedge style cake to a party I'm going to later. I'm going back in an hour and a half for the party.

The bottom tier developed a crack in the fondant from the weight and the tier is bulging slightly. I don't have time to take it apart and redowel, and I don't think i could if I had time because the tiers are stuck down with chocolate.

I know that the issue is dowelling combined with the heat, I just need some reassurance I think.

Will the cake be okay? Its been stacked for a day and the crack only occurred after transport. I've told them to cut it as soon as possible.

I'm just stressing so bad! It's only got to stay stood for about 4 hours, it'll be okay right?

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve taking it apart?

It's built with a centre dowel that was drilled into the board.

11 replies
mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 12

Is there any way you could post a picture? Are there any decorations you could use to cover it up?

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 12

Sorry that happened. I don't know how to fix it, if it were me I would just pray it stays together.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 12

Did you make the topsy turvy cake as an optical illusion where the tiers are actually flat on top of each other?
By the way, I checked out your cakes, they are beautiful!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 12

I'm sure the cake has settled by now and it was just the stress of the transportation that caused it. I'm sure it'll be fine from this point.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays.

LisaPeps Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 12

It's a wedge one where you put styrofoam in-between the layers. You can't see the cracks because there are stripes on the bottom and the crack is behind one of them. It still looks absolutely fine it's just I know it's there.

Im going to the party half an hour before it starts so I can assess the damage, I can only pray to the cake gods I think.

I'm just going to have a verrrrryyy stressful hour now.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 12

I remember the first time I did a topsy turvy tier.. I almost vomited, I was so nervous! I don't think I'd ever been so stressed out in my whole life! But it all turned out great, everyone loved the cake and it held up fine. Hopefully everything will go well too for you! Please be sure to let us know how it goes! Good luck!

LisaPeps Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 12

It's still standing and the damage doesn't look any worse!! icon_biggrin.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 12

YAY, that's awesome news! icon_biggrin.gif

LisaPeps Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 12

The cake was a hit, you couldn't even tell by looking at it there was something wrong with it. It stayed stood up all night, I think as mrsg said it probably just settled. It was a mess to cut though, the slices were really crumbly, I guess because of it being compressed so much. It was really moist so that's the only thing I can think of.

Anyway, thanks for your reassurance and help icon_smile.gif

Here's the finished cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2118353

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 12

Very cute. You mentioned weight, compression, etc. Did you not have dowels supporting the cakes, or did you rely only on those wedges and your center dowel? That bottom tier looks like it wanted to blow out on all sides.

LisaPeps Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 11:26am
post #12 of 12

Yea I dowelled it, I used 4 straws. My other 2 and 3 tier cakes have held up fine with that. I guess it was a combination of the heat and having the weight distributed differently. I now know this for future cakes icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%