A "lighter" Buttercream?

Baking By Shelley51708 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 1:23am by Shelley51708

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bride that wants either whipped (which won't really work well with a hexagon cake) or a "lighter" buttercream. She said she doesn't like how heavy BC is....any suggestions or recipes? TIA!!!

6 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

I would use either Charlotte's whipped cream buttercream in the recipe section or a meringue buttercream like IMBC or SMBC. I use IMBC and if you go to YouTube and type in Warren Brown's video that's the recipe I use, but I add in a tablespoon of good quality vanilla.

If you go with Charlotte's recipe you can use all shortening, all butter, or half and half. I have done it all ways. Not everyone likes 100% butter icing so this gives you some leverage that you don't get with IMBC or SMBC.

Shelley51708 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:50am
post #3 of 7

thanks Annie!

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:08am
post #4 of 7

The fall cake picture in my photos is IMBC, and the Tangled cake (the purple one) is Charlotte's, also the happy birthday round is Charlotte's. LOL I change buttercreams like I change underwear!

Both have a similar texture to decorate with. If you need something more heat stable I would go with Charlotte's because you can play with the types of fat whereas with IMBC you're stuck using butter. Not that that's a bad thing...

Shelley51708 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:13am
post #5 of 7

It looks like it smooths well, is it (Charlotte's) crusting? How is it listed here on CC (the recipe)? THANKS SO MUCH!

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:19am
post #6 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2019/whipped-cream-buttercream-frosting

What I do is combine the meringue powder, salt, and granulated sugar, then add the boiling water, mix until stiff peak.

Add in the extracts, then the powdered sugar. Switch to the paddle when you add the fat. You want to avoid whipping too much air into it.

If you look up Leah's website (louisvilleweddingcake.com) all her photos use Charlotte's recipe too.

Shelley51708 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:23am
post #7 of 7

Thanks icon_smile.gif I will definitely give it a try! I have a cake taste testing with her on 8/25, so I have time to work on it, lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%