Silver Fondant Please Help Asap!!

Decorating By ggcakes22 Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm by ggcakes22

ggcakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ggcakes22 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,
I would really appreciate any help you can give me. I was asked to make a cake where one of the tiers is covered in silver fondant. On the picture the silver tier doesn't look very metallic, it just shows like a shimmery silver color. I've painted details on cakes silver using silver dust and vodka, but have never covered a whole cake with silver fondant. I do not own an airbrush system...so... Looking on-line I found some advice and products, if you have tried any or all please let me know which one worked best for you:
a) silver glaze by bakery crafts
b) chefmaster silver spray
c) color the fondant gray and brush it with pearl dust (dry or wet??)
d) color the fondant gray and brush it with silver dust (dry or wet??)

Thank you so much in advance
GG

9 replies
BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 10

When I have to do silver, pewter, gunmetal, etc., I tint my fondant with black (ranging from a light gray for silver, to a darker gray for a gunmetal look) and then airbrush, or paint, the crystal colors bright silver over it. Since you don't have an airbrush, I would go with one of the sprays over the light gray fondant. I just purchased my first can of pearl sheen, so I am anxious to see how they actually work. I would just do light layers, letting them dry in between so your fondant doesn't get too sticky. Just my advice, since I haven't yet used the spray stuff. My airbrush at the moment is missing a piece for my new air compressor, so I can't use it right now.

If you need a chrome-like finish, I have NO CLUE icon_biggrin.gif

TTeddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TTeddy Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 10

I needed silver letters for my last cake. I bought some silver icing paint and it worked like a charm. It wasn't VERY shiny, but you can tell it's silver. Not sure how it would go on whole cake. I would say great, bur would need a fair bit to do it??

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 10

If you are looking at using the spray-on silver, I've used both PME and Chefmaster. I found that the Chefmaster is a much flatter color silver than PME. The PME is much shinier ( but maybe not a 'chrome' finish). Hope this helps.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 10

for a whole cake air brushing is the best way to do it.. this is what Duff Goldman does.. if you use a pastry brush or anything smaller, you will get very uneven results and blotchy..

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 10

I would colour fondant light grey then use PME silver spray that should work.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 4:54pm
post #7 of 10

I have tried painting "Silver" on a cake with a brush before and it did not work out as well. I don't know how much time you have, but this airbrush http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-CAKE-DECORATING-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSH-KIT-FOOD-COLOR-/370531406088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5645649108 would do the trick. I used silver sheen http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002H03BI4/?tag=cakecentral-20 on my tire cake http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1786636 The tire rim and chain where airbrushed with the silver sheen.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyw

If you are looking at using the spray-on silver, I've used both PME and Chefmaster. I found that the Chefmaster is a much flatter color silver than PME. The PME is much shinier ( but maybe not a 'chrome' finish). Hope this helps.

this is true...but the spray is oh so cool! icon_lol.gif

actually, i did a Lombardi Trophy (in my photos icon_wink.gif ) where i used the chefmaster. worked really well and coated the cake really nicely! i only had to do a few touch ups after applying the first coat.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 10

I have used the Chefmaster silver spray. I tinted the fondant light gray then spayed two coats to get a nice sparkly silver. Very happy with the results.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1867074

ggcakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ggcakes22 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you ALL so much, I think I'll go with the Chefmaster over the gray fondant, but will also order the airbrush machine mentioned for future cakes.
Thank you again
hugs
GG

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%