Working With Fondant

Decorating By Mandy87 Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 8:45pm by Darthburn

Mandy87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandy87 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:56am
post #1 of 6

Hi I'm new working with fondant and I was wondering how u get the extra powdered sugar off the colored fondant after you cover the cake. And if anyone knows which recipes for cakes hold up best for topsy turby cakes. Thanks so much.

5 replies
CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 6:05am
post #2 of 6

I dampen a paper towel with water, squeeze as much water out as possible, then give the cake a light once over - it will dry perfectly.

HTH!

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:05am
post #3 of 6

or you could try lightly spraying with cooking oil spray - ever, ever so lightly, barely there...

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 6

i rub crisco between my hands and then gently rub over the fondant i have also steamed it with great results

KimsCakeKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimsCakeKitchen Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 6

I use a paper towel rung out too. For little bits stuck in fondant decorations I will use a damp paint brush, just be careful not to let the colours run into each other. If this happens though, just paint over with a clean damp paint brush again and it fixes it.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 6

Take a soft brush like a BBQ baster and brush off as much as you possibly can.

I use my airbrush to spray a light coat of vodka (most the time with luster dust in it) and that takes care of it.

Or i use a steamer which works great too. I picked up a great little steam machine at W**mart for $30.

But knowing that most people don't have those, I'd stick with a very very lightly damp paper towel. When i first started I used crisco and it was like a purple grease ball afterward haha!

Good luck! Post us some pics! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%