Fruit Flavored Ganache

Baking By crobbins18 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 10:13pm by crobbins18

crobbins18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crobbins18 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone have any ideas how to make a fruit flavored ganache whether with actual fruit, flavorings, etc. I want to make perhaps banana, cherry, or strawberry. Any help would be greatly appreciated :O)

11 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:33am
post #2 of 12

banana, cherry, or strawberry flavoured dark/milk chocolate ganache or white chocolate ganache ?

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:38am
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobbins18

Does anyone have any ideas how to make a fruit flavored ganache whether with actual fruit, flavorings, etc. I want to make perhaps banana, cherry, or strawberry. Any help would be greatly appreciated :O)

Certainly - if you wish to use fresh strawberries, wash them - THEN HULL THEM - pat dry on paper towell - cut up into small segments then when your Ganache is made - stir them through.
The reason i say wash them first and then Hull them is because if you Hull them first alot of water gets inside the actual strawberry - and you don't want any water getting into the ganache.
Thats a problem alot of people have using berries when cooking - all that added extra water... thumbsdown.gif

If using Bananas, i would advise to use the ganache within 2-3 days of making as the bananas will start to break down and instead of tasting like a banana the ganache will take on a mushy over ripe taste.
Cut into small segments and stir through once ganache is made.

If wanting to use Cherries might i make a suggestion - Try buying a Jar of the Pitted Morello Cherries - the flavour is more intense and they match perfectly with either the Milk or Dark Chocolate - plus you can keep the ganache a bit longer than if using fresh fruit.
Again - cut into segments and (what i do is) then put them in a sieve and let them drain for about 30 minutes - gets rid of any excess liquid from the jar.
Then just stir through your ganache when made.
These can also be added to your Mud Cake Batter just before you pour it into your cake tins for baking. It just gives your Cake a deeper flavour.

Bluehue.

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:30am
post #4 of 12

I add the (cleaned and chopped) fruit to the heavy cream when I heat it and when it comes to a rolling boil I cover it for about 15 minutes and then reheat and strain the heavy cream into the chocolate for a pourable ganache.

If it's a filling, I do what Bluehue does. Fruit flavored ganache is so delicious! icon_smile.gif

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:05am
post #5 of 12

Ohh, good ideas - thanks!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:50am
post #6 of 12

Blue, off topic, where do you find morello cherries in the jar? Grocery or specialty? I am developing my Black Forest Cake and haven't settled on jarred or fresh cherries. Thanks, Susan

Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Blue, off topic, where do you find morello cherries in the jar? Grocery or specialty? I am developing my Black Forest Cake and haven't settled on jarred or fresh cherries. Thanks, Susan

scp - mostly i opt for the jar ones as the flavour is better - once they are cooked or added to the ganache - *not so sweet cherry flavour like kids want them* - iykwim... more an adult cherry flavour.
Hope that makes sense.

In my local supermarket they are in the aisle that has the tinned berries and bottled fruits (mangos, peaches etc)
http://www.google.com.au/search?um=1&hl=en&biw=1024&bih=652&tbm=isch&oq=pitted+morello+cherries+in+bottles+&aq=f&aqi=&q=pitted%20morello%20cherries%20in%20bottles

I can also get them through my wholesaler -

Hope that helps.

Blue.

scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks Blue. I just bought the authentic Black Forest Kirschwasser. I'm planning to do my Frankenstein recipe thing and put the best of a few recipes together.

Bluehue Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Thanks Blue. I just bought the authentic Black Forest Kirschwasser. I'm planning to do my Frankenstein recipe thing and put the best of a few recipes together.

Oh they are delish scp.
Do you get the bottles of Cherry - Apricot etc Kirsch over there?
When we were in Germany we stocked up on bottles of the real thing - tastes just like liquid silk on the tongue. icon_smile.gif

You mut let me know how your reipe turns out - hmmm, think i can smell the richness and depth of it already - icon_wink.gif

Blue.

scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 12

Blue, I will be sure to let you know. My biggest problem with developing the recipe is that they mainly use whipped cream. I have finally found a few with European buttercream once I searched "authentic".

My problem with whipped cream, even stabilized, is that it requires more care by the customer. I can't be sure they will store it properly in the refrigerator, and bring it to room temp 1/2 hour before serving. If they do it wrong, my cake will still be judged on the taste of the improperly served cake. IMBC just seems more forgiving.

I know I will soak the cherries in the kirsch. It was smooth. I was very surprised at that.

crobbins18 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

banana, cherry, or strawberry flavoured dark/milk chocolate ganache or white chocolate ganache ?

Milk chocolate

crobbins18 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:13pm
post #12 of 12

I just managed to get back to checking replies...Thanks so much Blue and Curts...fantastic ideas :O) I will definitely have to try it out...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%