Help With Cannoli Cream Filling

Baking By WillowsCry Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm by mrsg1111

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 7

I posted this question yesterday but I can't find it anywhere so I'm resubmitting it. I made a cake for my son's birthday that had a canolli cream filling. It tasted great but the texture was a problem for me. icon_cool.gif It was really grainy. I tried the same recipe again, this time using powder sugar instead of granular and still had the same problem with graininess. thumbsdown.gif Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue?

6 replies
mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 7

I had the same issue. Did you use ricotta? I thought my graininess was from that.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7175824-.html#7175824

Your post got moved to the recipe section, though there isn't a reply yet.

Can you share what recipe you are using, and how you made it? That may help someone be able to answer you better.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

As a full blooded Italian, I have always only used ricotta cheese and powdered sugar and my cannoli cream is never grainy.

With regular ricotta cheese you have to first drained it for at least 2 days (I put a coffee filter into a sieve and put it into a bowl with a top, then into the fridge). First step in making cannoli cream is to puree it thoroughly, food process, blender, hand blender or through a sieve.

I recently discovered Sargento whole milk ricotta "velvety smooth". That (and only that) is the only brand I will use now, it doesn't have to be pureed first.

HTH,

Toni Ann

mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 7

Sargento is definitely the way to go! I buy everything Sargento over Polly-o. I've mixed the ricotta with a hand mixer after draining, but never in a processor or blender... i will try that next time.

Anthing thing i've done the last time that i made it was add marscapone cheese as well.

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the wonderful replies! and special thanks to Texas sugar for playing detective and finding my first post on this! lol. I had a feeling it was the ricotta seeing as how changing the sugar didn't fix the problem. The recipe I was using mentioned nothing about pureeing the ricotta so thank you Toni Ann for that tip. I also didn't drain it long enough apparently, ( I was only draining over night) so I will do that differently as well. Mrsg1111, did you like the result with the marscapone cheese? Out of curiosity I might try a batch with that. Oh, my son just said to thank you all for all the tips since it looks like I will be making a lot of test cakes ... he of course will reap the rewards of those! LOL . Thanks for the help y'all

LeeAnn

mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 7

Everyone loved it! I'm not sure what difference it made as I've been using marscapone from the first time i made cannoli filling. I had it in my 'fridge from Tiramisu so i added it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%