Painting The Colors On Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By jjjjjab Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 2:11am by zipzip314

jjjjjab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjjjjab Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

I'm about to paint my stargazer lilies, but I also have roses and a bunch of misc filler flowers. I've never brushed the color on. Does anyone know if we have a tutorial that focuses on this? or any helpful hints would be really appreciated!

Thanks

7 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have a tutorial but I just painted some pink bows. I had originally tinted the gumpaste before I made the bows but they faded too much. I put a small amount of vodka in a small dish and added food coloring (Americolor). Then I brushed the color on the gumpaste. The vodka evaporated quickly and the color looks great.

Last year I made stargazer lilies for wedding cake (there's a secondary picture on my photos of the white wedding cake with pink polka dot ribbon). For those I just brushed on dry petal dust ...the dots on the lily petal were made with a pointed brush dampened with vodka and dipped in petal dust.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 8

There really is no right or wrong way to do this.

Just get out your petals, some petal dusts, soft paint brushes and have at it. Layering colors will makes a difference over just using one color though.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 8

Here are some links with info...HTH

icon_smile.gif

On edna's you tube on the side there are more sites that you can also check.

I also have a cake which has roses on top, and what I did was...I made the roses and I run out of time, so I did not wait for the roses to dry . I made them, waited a little while and got out my non toxic pastel colors which I bought at Michael, scrape some off with a butter knife so that I would get some petal dust. and brush it on. It worked for me because I only needed my roses to have a light shade of orange. I was surprise with the result. They looked pretty. Next time I will give them more time so that they will come out beautiful! icon_lol.gif

CIAO

jjjjjab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjjjjab Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:42pm
post #5 of 8

I have some wilton dust colors. There is a taller thin tube that seems to go on the flowers pretty well dry. I like using it. The other type is a shorter fatter jar, the color doesn't stick on the dry flowers as well. Should I brush vodka on the flower or mix the color with vodka? Does anyone know what these two types are? is there something else I should get?

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 8

I get my petal dust from (http://www.fondantsource.com/) They are in the short fat jars. Wilton petal dust just doesn't come in enough shades. I wouldn't use vodka for the stargazer lily ...just dry dust but you could always try both techniques on some test pieces to see which you prefer

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 8

No don't use Wilton's Shimmer dusts in the jars, it won't work for what you are doing.

The Color dusts, matte in the tall skinny jars are what you are looking for. You can also use the Pearl dusts, also in the tall skinny jars, for some shimmer.

And you can use non toxic artist chalks, order some non toxic petal dusts, or look into Crystal colors. Crystal colors and Wilton's dusts are edible.

I would dry dust the colors on, it will give it more of a subtle look than if you paint them on mixed with the alcohol. The only thing I'd mix with the alcohol is the color you are using to make the spots.

zipzip314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zipzip314 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:11am
post #8 of 8

For the roses and stargazer lilies I did for a wedding cake last weekend, I dry dusted the roses with several shades of dusts to give them the depth I wanted. For the stargazer lilies, I dry dusted some yellow/green at the base of the petal, then dry dusted my pink up the middle, and mixed some lemon extract (didn't have any vodka on hand) and the dusts to get the line up the middle and the spots. Then I steamed the whole mess of them to help blend and set the colors. There are pictures in my gallery of both the roses and the lilies. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%