Freelancing For Other Bakeries

Business By mrsg1111 Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 12:43pm by scp1127

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
Does anyone here freelance - if that's the word i'm looking for- for a bakery? If so, how does that work? Do they do all the baking and you decorate? Do they supply all of the material needed? Is it paid on an hourly basis??

3 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 4

There are several threads on sub-contractors.

When I sub-contracted my wedding cake services, I did all the baking and decorating in their storefront using all of their supplies and ingredients. Sub-contractors generally use their own tools, are required to claim and pay their own taxes, set their own hours, and can turn down work or accept the jobs they want to do.

You charge the fees according to what you want, or what's agreed upon. In my case, I worked for a percentage of the base price (which was much higher than I would have charged) plus 100% of all decorating options/upgrades that were sold by the store. They also provided delivery (unless I decided to help out). HTH.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much for this information. Do you need special licensing?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 4

I sub-contract. Go to the IRS site and follow every requirement exactly. You will need a business license, but in our area, if you work in my kitchen and are paid by me, my license and insurance are used, as I am responsible for the finished product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%