Imbc ?'s... Recipe, Smoothing, Flavors....

Baking By tullicious Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 12:04pm by scp1127

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 3

I've been really wanting to try some IMBC. I see a couple recipes here on CC, but what recipe do you guys use that you love, and how often? Anybody use the "faux" IMBC with the meringue powder instead of the cooked recipe? Do you use it for filling only or a whole cake frosting, and does it pipe well? Does it smooth like regular BC? And how do you add flavors like to make it chocolate? Twenty questions here, sorry! icon_redface.gif Thanks for some info!

2 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 3

Aww, I'm sorry I just saw your post.

IMBC is great. Look up Warren Brown's recipe on Youtube. That's the recipe I use.

You can use it to ice a cake, fill it, and decorate it. It does not crust, so traditional smoothing methods like the ones you find on here (foam roller, paper towel, etc.) will not work on it. You should get a flat metal scraper if you're going to smooth this buttercream.

I like making IMBC much better. For me, it's easier and WAY less messy than American buttercream. You don't have that powdered sugar cloud to deal with.

The main thing about making IMBC is that your ingredients need to be FRESH and of very good quality. Use UNSALTED butter and plenty of good vanilla (like 2-3 TBS per batch). If you don't do those two things then you may end up with that sweetened butter taste.

I wouldn't make it with meringue powder. For one it's easier to just use the egg whites and two meringue powder has all kinds of added stuff besides powdered egg.

Watch Warren's video and take notes. Make the recipe and follow the times he uses and you should be in good shape. It's really delicious!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 3

I second Warren Brown. His tip of raising the syrup temp makes a very stable frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%