Need Reassurance!

Baking By paula0712 Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 12:05am by paula0712

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 4

So I made this cake on Sunday. I torted it - and then let it sit for about 7 hours with a tile on top then ganached it. I let the damn thing sit for 2 days! I cover it with fondant yesterday then finished decorating it. All was well - until I came down to "just check on it" at 11pm to find that one whole side of the cake is a bubble and cracking!!! This has never happened to me before. I can't fix it and know where I went wrong so that it doesn't happen again. It sat at room temp. never went near the fridge or freezer. My house is a/c and it has been very humid here lately. I ended up peeling the fondant off (which took the ganache with it) and re-ganaching it. It's still sitting and I'm scared to death to cover it again. It's not due till Friday but I have to make and decorate 100 cupcakes to accompany it to the wedding. To top it off, it's for a bridezilla... what are the chances that it happens again? I did 2 cakes this week the same way and this one decided to have a tantrum. Please someone reassure me that these things just happen and that it'll be ok and I don't need to stress about it happening again. lol Thanks! ps - it's the white cake with the hot pink loopy bow and flowers on it in my pics.

3 replies
Announa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Announa Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

it looks great dear & I'm sure that all will be well icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 4

In my 35+ yrs of decorating I've only had similur experiences about 1/2 dozen times.
The pic says it is a 6" - usually that means you didn't press hard enough to seal the fondant well to the base icing. Those little boogers are hard to work on icon_sad.gif

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

That's what I thought Kakeladi! I figured it looked good so I didn't fuss with smoothing it anymore and then when I watched Sharon Zambito's Topsy Turvy dvd I realised that I definitely needed to "iron" my fondant on the cake. Now that I've re-ganached it I will be sure to smooth that damn fondant and make sure that every place is sealed down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%