Most Mother's At The School Know I Decorate Cakes..so..

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 5:56pm by TexasSugar

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:45pm
post #31 of 40

I'm not sure what kind of cakes you bring to the school, but my guess would be that they are generically themed (graduation, spring, first day of school). Kids often want only there favorite character for their cake. If the parents don't know that you do that kind of work, that may be why they're going to the grocery where they can get a cake kit with their kids favorite character on it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:50pm
post #32 of 40

bakerliz...I usually bring cupcakes or teacher appreciation cakes...nothing kid themed..Many of the Moms have commented that they have checked out my website so I'm sure they see what I have to offer...

tcbalgord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcbalgord Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #33 of 40

I have the same issue and have been racking my brain trying to figure out how to change things. All of the mom's know I do cakes and they all say when it's so and so's birthday I'll be calling you....Nothing. Even my daughters bbf's mom, who is so busy and always running frantic said oh I wish I would've remembered you do cakes. Well silly woman you have my card on your fridge!

I am seriously thinking about doing a mailer with a coupon of some sort and just sending to all the school directory.

Best of luck getting the parents to remember they have someone better then their local "yucky" grocery store!

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:20pm
post #34 of 40

KiddieKakes, I completely understand about everyone selling something and yet they complain about your prices or do not return the favor.

I was just telling my husband the other day: "I am always the extra warm body that gets invited to the various host parties so that the host can get the free whatever." They never dial my telephone number otherwise and they certainly never order a cake. They don't even remember that I do cakes but my name is always remembered when it comes to meet that magic number for a host party! At one of these parties, in social conversation, one guest noted how good the cake was. I happily told her I made it and gave the lady a card. The host was huffy that I mentioned my cakes at her party - It was too distracting to the guests. I had just spent $138 to buy the latest and greatest product at her party. She was serving the free cake that I brought as a courtesy. Oh, the irony!

You wouldnt be in business if you weren't bright and talented. Its the legalities that will get you every time. Try baking cakes for attorneys! LOL

Blessings on your work!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:28pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Friends and family are the worst customers. Never expect to get any orders from people who know you like that...

THIS! The people at our church and our acquaintances are the same way. We have gotten some orders from friends and acquaintances, but not nearly as often as we initially expected. We have learned not to look to friends and family to order from us. I bring baked goods to church all the time (for free) and they have seen our work decorating-wise, so they know how good our stuff is. But when people get married, have a baby shower, etc., we always see the pictures of the party on FB with a Costco cake or something like that. A couple of times we have even seen them with a custom decorated cake, but it was rough looking. (not trying to be rude, but they are pretty bad!)

Just like when we have strangers approach us about a cake and then balk at the price, and we simply say they are "not our customer", many times your friends and family are simply "not your customer" for whatever reason. You have to try to see it objectively. It is very frustrating to see someone that knows you do custom cakes go to someone else for their parties and such. It's hard not to feel slighted or hurt.

We just heard about a friend having a really small family wedding, and they were just going to get cupcakes to have at their house instead of a wedding cake. But guess where they got the cupcakes??? Not us! And it's not like they just went to the grocery store and got cheap ones. They went to one of the local cupcake shops that sell their cupcakes for $3 and $4 a piece. We would have been cheaper than that! SIGH...

All that to say I know how you feel!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:26pm
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Yeah it could be...but my cake minumum is $40.00..You would pay that at a grocery store anyway so I don't think it is that...I don't want to start offering disounts either...You know the same old addage..Anyone will order a cake if they get a deal/discount but after that....see yah...I'm not interested in those who will order once...

The school doesn't allow you to put up flyers either so there is no way to advertise there....I guess I will just have to get creative...

If anyone had any tips..Throw them my way!!

KiddieKakes, altho it has been years since i was a school mum - i do remember both junior and senior schools haveing Monthly Newsletters - and if a parent had a Business they could pay some small ammount to help fund the newsletter and thus have an advert put it it.
Does the school your children attend have such a thing?
It was a great idea as it kept the local people intouch with the local Business's.

Do you have any Business Cards - if so - when someone says -
oooo rrrrr that cake you made was so beautiful - just dive into your bag and hand them a Buidness Card - and say - there you go petal, this is how you contact me - icon_smile.gif

Someone mentioned going through Vista Print and getting a door magnet for your car. Honestly - you can't go wrong doing that - you can get small or medium ones - and they don't cost the earth either . brillante i say - Everytime you are on the road - you are advertising yourself without having to say a word thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

If your children play a sport (out of school) can you put up a notice at the place they meet to train?
Place a little advert in that clubs newsletter - perhaps.

Also through Vista Print you can get a Polo Shirt designed with you name on it.
Perhaps pop that on a few times when you go up to the school - (you know, for those times you have had to do a delivery AND then collect the children from school) - icon_wink.gif
Again - you are advertising without saying a word. icon_biggrin.gif

You can also get stickers varying sizes through Vista Print...
Stick a sticker on your daughters lunch box lid - other girls will see it and say - ooooh whats that - they WILL tell their mum what they saw on her lunch box thumbs_up.gif

Hope some of these tips help -
Put you name in peoples faces - so as they get it stuck in their heads - icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:03pm
post #37 of 40

Thanks Blue..I always appreciate great advice..especially from the Gals that have been around along time...

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:35pm
post #38 of 40

This might sound funny but my kids do a whole lot of advertisement for me at school. My son talks so much about my CCs ( lol he talks so much about everything ) when I make cupcakes his entire class knows about it icon_confused.gif In May, the school Secretary called & ordered CCs for her wedding ... I'm sure my son had something to do with that icon_biggrin.gif

Another thing is Facebook, do you post your cakes on your personal account?? Do you have your kid's parents as friends?? Also post the prices, many parents think that custom cakes are too expensive.

Seriously $40 for a cake is nothing.... People should know about that!

Good luck & hope 2011-2012 school year is filled with good luck & ORDERS thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #39 of 40

Thanks Cupcations...How is biz in Fort Mac??...I know other Canadians can relate to expensive bakery prices...LOL..I do have a facebook account for my business but it doesn't seem to draw that many people...I am considering Twitter also..

I may look into the magnet thing for the side of a car too...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:56pm
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaige

I had just spent $138 to buy the latest and greatest product at her party. She was serving the free cake that I brought as a courtesy. Oh, the irony!

Ugh! Personally I'd be too busy to go to another one again.

I hate those things. It's usually family that I don't talk to very often that invites me, and the you always feel like you should buy something. Well you know what people, sorry, ain't gonna happen. I'm tired of buying over priced stuff I don't need to be nice to someone else.

Instead, I just quit going to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%