Cake Pops Coating Options

Baking By DivaJai Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 12:51am by fondantgrl

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:07am
post #1 of 8

Hello all icon_smile.gif I'm pretty new here but I've been lurking for quite sometime soaking up all the information I can lol... anyway I made my first batch of cake pops tonight using my Bella Cucina Cake Pop/Donut hole maker from JCPenney and covered them with Wilton's candy melts. I have a few concerns (and tell me if you feel the same) 1.) the melts were a little thick ( they dried okay but I thought it was supposed to be really fluid like and what I came up with was a semi-liquid thin frosting consistency.)

2.) I tasted one and it was wayyyyy to sweet (made my tummy hurt) I'm sure kids might like it but I would like to make these adorable treats more tasty. Anyone know where I can get some good ideas (or have some) I would love to make these again but not with wilton's candy melts as the coating. Thanks a bunch icon_smile.gif

7 replies
MrsL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsL Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 8

I had so many problems with the candy melts being too thick, I couldn't get a good smooth coating with them. I started using almond bark and it is a world of difference!!! I love melted almond bark for dipping my cakepops and I don't think I'll ever buy candy melts again

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:37am
post #3 of 8

I also try to stay away from Wilton if I can. They just don't come out right all the time. Next time try thinning it out with Crisco (for a shiny finish) or paramount crystals (for a matte finish). I have also heard you can use oil or cocoa butter to thin it out.

cakeaholic_cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaholic_cakery Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 8

ugh I hate the wilton candy melts. Way too thick, and a gross taste. I usually get "candy coating" from Target in the baking aisle - it is a vanilla flavor, melts really thin and runny and tastes delicious. It dries with a thin hard shell so when you bite into it its a thin crunch followed by the cake ball - which I personally prefer to the thick mushy texture of the wilton melts... hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:06am
post #5 of 8

DON"T USE OIL WITH THE WILTON MELTS!!! lol sorry. i tried that once and at first it was great. i dipped all the cake balls and they were beautiful.. but after they set the oil started to seep out. i don't know if it separated from the candy or what but all my cake balls had leaking little drops of oil. icon_sad.gif

DallasTexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DallasTexas Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 8:05am
post #6 of 8

I just got a Babycakes Cake Pop Maker from Kohl's today and tonight, I made cake pops.

Just like you, I had some Wilton candy melts. I measured out half a cup of them, but when they melted, they were soooo thick I couldn't even pour the melts over the cake pops, let alone try to dip them!

I added a tiny bit of Crisco vegetable shortening--maybe a little less than half a teaspoon--and that thinned it out so I could dip or pour or do a little of each. Looking at them, the coating is quite thin! Almost like a glaze. Not what I was aiming for, that's for sure.

I do have some almond bark but wanted to use up the Wilton's stuff.

I'll see if they leak or seep oil tomorrow.

Well, it won't all be a waste because I had "volunteers" eyeballing them every time they passed through the kitchen! They'll get eaten, for sure!

I may just try and finish up whatever Wilton melts I have and then work exclusively with the almond bark.

Chefnme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefnme Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 8

Wilton Melts do get thick, but adding the crisco does help. As for the seeping, the oil can be from the frosting in the cake pops. To combat this, you have to make sure the pops are completely covered, and I only say this because I have used other brands of candy melts and have had some seepage.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 12:51am
post #8 of 8

WIltons Candy Melts is great for making modeling chocolate/chocolate leather... but for coating cake pops, I use regular semi sweet chocolate.. or you can melt regular icing like DUncan Hines chocolate frosting. They come out more runny than chocolate. Anyway, it is cake that your are coating. So icing would fit well..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%