Found A Great Buttercream Icing Recipe

Baking By krumbledkakes Updated 18 Dec 2016 , 9:47pm by alyradia

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:26am
post #1 of 9

Sorry if this one has already been posted but my husband couldn't stop raving about it so thought I would share. It's a little time consuming, but was totally worth it imo -

Ingredients:
3/4 granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt (only if using UNSALTED butter)
1/2 cup boiling water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup meringue powder
4 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 cups softened butter

Begin by boiling water and dissolving your granulated sugar in it. Let cool to room temp

Mix together meringue powder and sugar water together (using mixer, low speed) until powder is dissolved and mixture becomes foamy ( I had to help it along a bit with a whisk on the other side of the bowl)

Once foamy, increase speed and mix until soft peaks form. Add your vanilla and powdered/confectioners sugar ( I added 1 cup at a time)

Add soft butter, a few tblspns at a time, mixing well in between.

**my alterations**
Instead of 1 tablespoon vanilla, I used 1/2 tablespoon almond extract and 1/2 tablespoon imitation strawberry
Instead of 2 cups butter, I used 1 cup butter and 1 cup vegetable shortening following the step of adding a little at a time.

Yields enough to frost and fill 8" cake or 24 cupcakes.

I made this for the WASC recipe I always read about and made an extra cake for my tester. Hubby just about ate all of it and my frosting before I finished crumb coating my other ones lol

8 replies
angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 9

ty for sharing

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:08am
post #3 of 9

Thanks! Im always looking for new recipes!

krumbledkakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:25am
post #4 of 9

Np! This was the first one that didn't taste oily or gritty to me so I think I'm going to stick with this one for my cakes until I find more recipes.

I forgot to add, this also turned out really light and fluffy (compared to other ones I've tried) and so far has been the easiest one to spread on my cakes. Enjoy!

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:27am
post #5 of 9

Thank you for posting!! Does it crust for smoothing? icon_smile.gif

Announa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Announa Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 9

I think this looks yummy & easy enough for me icon_smile.gif & thank god no shortening in it since it's a bit hard for me to find, i'll give it a try icon_smile.gif

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:42pm
post #7 of 9

This is very similar to Charlotte's Whipped Cream BC recipe. I have used it with all shortening, all butter, and half of each and it's good every time. I know Leah uses it with HR shortening.

It doesn't crust but is so easy to get smooth with a flat scraper. I used that BC for the tangled cake in my photos.

krumbledkakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlepea

Thank you for posting!! Does it crust for smoothing? icon_smile.gif

The recipe says it does but mine hasn't. I actually don't think it needs to crust since it was so easy for me to get mine smooth just using my dough cutter. I'm sure if I wanted to I could take a paper towel to it and smooth it since it's been in the fridge over night, I'll give it a try later tonight when I get home and let you know how it goes.

alyradia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyradia Posted 18 Dec 2016 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 9

Hi - I have made this frosting a couple of times with success, but recently it just doesn't seem to fluff up like it used to, its kind of a thick runny frosting if that makes sense - kind of cake batter texture, and i am not changing anything. Any idea what could be the problem? i have added a little less powdered sugar this time as I am about 80g short and its too late to go out to the shops - could that be it?!
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/675837/anyone-know-about-charlottes-whipped-cream-buttercream#EpbSWrtGD8TLSJQj.99

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%