Wants Me To Decorate Cake She Made....

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 5:16am by sandersjessica

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 4:42am
post #1 of 20

Hello! I got a message from a friend of a friend asking me to make a gumpaste flower for her daughters wedding cake. I told her no problem and gave her a price. Now she is wondering if I will also pipe a design on the cake she is making and covering in fondant. I'm not really comfortable with this but I'm not sure how to explain to her why. It just seems weird to me that she wants to make the cake but have me do all the decorating... why doesn't she just have me do the whole cake. Anyone have a nice way of responding to this odd request?

19 replies
esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:08am
post #2 of 20

Tell her that you can't in good conscience guarantee the cake would be structurally sound if you don't use your own recipes. It's late so I can't exactly phrase it the way I'm looking for but I'm sure you get thhe idea... It seems like she's just trying to have you do most of the work but because she bakes it she wants a significant price cut.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:47am
post #3 of 20

I did a favor for a family member by letting her bake the huge baby shower cake and I decorated it. The cake was the most disgusting tasting thing ever. I was invited to the shower and after tasting it I kept telling everyone that I just decorated it and that I didn't bake the cake. It was awful and embarrassing.
I wouldn't do it if I were you. icon_smile.gif
Susie

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:49am
post #4 of 20

I would just tell her i didn't have the time to do it. Seems like the cowards way out but that is how i would handle it.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:30pm
post #5 of 20

I would just tell her that while you're sure her cake is going to be delicious you aren't comfortable decorating a cake that you haven't baked yourself.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 20

I know most people on here say not to and from a decorators point of view I can see why (Susies1955 as a perfect example) but for my sisters wedding my mother made the cake and she got a professional to cover and decorate it. My mother would not have been comfortable with her decorating skills to decorate it but has been making cakes for many many years and we all prefer hers and she wanted to do it for my sister.

Saying you are busy might be easiest since it is a friend of a friend if you dont feel comfortable saying you dont ice other people's cakes.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 20

If you have a clientel that recognizes your style of decorating (and believe me they do) they will assume you also made the cake- no matter what you tell some people. I would politely tell her no you cannot, no explaining required. She should understand. I remember reading another post where someone assisted the decorator and took all the credit, but that's another headache you can do without. icon_smile.gif

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 20

It sounds like a bad idea to me........

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 20

If you have a cake decorating supply store nearby (like in my town where they sell pre-made gumpaste flowers) -- refer her there that way she can purchase her own.

As for piping and decorating the cake, I've only done that for my best friend who bakes very well and I was proud to decorate her cake.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 20

I wouldn't be comfortable either, no matter which way it goes, that person may take the credit for your work and god forbid that the baker did something wrong with the cake and made others sick than your name can be bought up as well. Either way seems like it could potientail be uncomfortable!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 20

The only way that I would even consider decorating a cake that I did not bake would be if I personally had tasted the bakers product and new that it would be structurally sound...AND...only as a favor for a friend or family member.

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks for the replies everyone. I talked to her and told her I wouldn't be able to do it and she didn't even ask why, so it's all good! icon_smile.gif I can just see to many things going wrong in that situation! Thanks again.

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:26pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

Thanks for the replies everyone. I talked to her and told her I wouldn't be able to do it and she didn't even ask why, so it's all good! icon_smile.gif I can just see to many things going wrong in that situation! Thanks again.

Just to add I always just say to people who ask this "From a health and safety point of view I do not decorate cakes other people have made as I cannot guarantee a product I have not made myself"

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:40pm
post #14 of 20

Like you stated to us, just tell her, no that you are not comfortable doing this, but you would be happy to provide her with the gumpaste flower as previously arranged.

No need for explanations.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 20

I could see if it was a special recipe or family traditional recipe or something but why not just let you do the whole thing? I wouldn't feel comfortable either. I, too, would tell them that you aren't comfortable decorating a cake especially in fondant that you didn't bake yourself because you aren't familiar with the texture of the cake and so on.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:54pm
post #16 of 20

allaboutcakeuk said: ......."From a health and safety point of view I do not decorate cakes other people have made as I cannot guarantee a product I have not made myself"

EXACTLY! So you are not lying (I'm too busy) but gracefully getting out of something that is ?able.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm
post #17 of 20

She probably either thought baking it herself, or buying a cheap cake and decorating it herself would be cheaper.

I recently made flowers to go on a store bought cake, for my SIL's wedding. It was a small thing, they wanted a cheap cakes, and it was more or less a short notice thing. Which all was fine, because the cake I had done right before, was one of those hell cakes, so I wasn't really looking forward to do another one at the moment.

I did the flowers, and put them the cake. Now had they asked me to decorate the cake? Nope, I would have passed on that.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:02pm
post #18 of 20

Yes, she might have thought baking it herself would be cheaper, or she is confident in her own baking and prefers it to other peoples'. My baking is excellent - decorating...not so much. Would I buy gumpaste flowers- absolutely.

OK I have the cake baked, leveled and buttercreamed-with a fairly smooth finish. Now, I don't really know what to do next. (Actually if my cousin is here, I just hand it over to her. She likes to decorate - I don't.) Since you will not decorate someone else's cake- I agree that you shouldn't, how about offering her pictures of cakes someone with minimal skills might create? It might turn out a bit of a cake wreck, but at least she will have a pattern to follow.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #19 of 20

We've done this before...we just charge an hourly fee for cake decorating services, and since we decorate at the client's site it often turns out to be more expensive than if we had just made the cake ourselves.

sandersjessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandersjessica Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 5:16am
post #20 of 20

Its very important that either there is an individual making the cake alone or the two making cake together are involved together. What you guys are doing will definitely lead to a creative difference which would hamper you in making the cake. You must talk to her regarding this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%