Pin-Prick Method

Decorating By shoemake Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 2:18pm by KASCARLETT

shoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoemake Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #1 of 5

can you tell me how to do pin-prick method? I have seen it mentioned alot. I could love to try it.

4 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 5:52am
post #2 of 5

Well, the way that I do it is to print up a line of text in a font that I like. I make sure to print the font in the size that I need for the placement on the cake. I then cut the text out removing most of the surrounding paper from around it but leaving enough to give me a bit to hold it into place. I then take a very sharp skewer or hat pin and prick through the paper into the icing all around each of the letters close enough so that when the paper is removed you can see the dotted outline of where the letters are to go. I then go back in with my icing and pipe the letters on. Works like a charm.

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:01am
post #3 of 5

Think of it like using a printed stencil on a pumpkin you're going to carve icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 5

I used to do this method a lot and found that buy pricking the paper with a corsage pin on top of a piece of styrofoam worked better for me than doing it directly on the cake.

Once all the holes are in the paper, the back side raises up, like Braille. I would lay the paper on the cake and gently rub it with my hand, lift off the paper and all the little holes would be pressed into the buttercream.

Then I'd outline every line with a small round tip, then fill in the colors.

Hope that helps.

KimAZ

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 5

KimAZ, that's the way that I do it when I use that method. I find it is easier to do it that way and then place it where you want it and ever so lightly press to get the dotted imprint on the cake. I would never try to do it directly on the cake! I'd probably mess it up! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%