Looking For An Awesome Banana Frosting For Cupcakes

Baking By mommie917 Updated 13 Jan 2013 , 5:07am by KirasCakery

mommie917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommie917 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #1 of 19

Does anyone have great banana frosting or banana buttercream recipe that they would be willing to share? TIA

18 replies
mommie917 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 19

*bump* no one has a recipe? icon_sad.gif

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #3 of 19

I am planning on making a banana frosting this weekend and I just planned to add Lorann Banana Cream Flavoring or maybe banana pudding mix to my Buttercream...I was going to mess around with it tomorrow. If that doesn't work out, I go to Google. LOL

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:16am
post #4 of 19

I just add dry banana cream pudding mix to my regular buttercream recipe. Sorry I don't have measurements I just do it to taste.

mommie917 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #5 of 19

Awesome! Thank you to both of you! I wonder if banana extract would work also.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #6 of 19

Make Brennan's Bananas Foster from the original recipe and add it to one of the European buttercreams.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:28am
post #7 of 19

Ooooo! Thanks scp! I assume we mash the bananas up with everything after making the recipe, then add it in?

lilbitacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbitacake Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:30am
post #8 of 19

My Husband mashed up some bananas and a little bit of cinnamon and add it right to the buttercream icing. It tasted awesome.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:35am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie917

We use banana extract...it makes it easier to keep inventory, since when you need banana (or raspberry, cherry, coconut, etc.) frosting you can just add the extract to your vanilla buttercream.

mommie917 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommie917

We use banana extract...it makes it easier to keep inventory, since when you need banana (or raspberry, cherry, coconut, etc.) frosting you can just add the extract to your vanilla buttercream.

Thanks, I might test that out first. I'm just worried that the frosting would look funny with mashed bananas since they turn brown.

scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:43am
post #11 of 19

Yes, you can mash the bananas and incorporate the sauce. To top it, drizzle the sauce. This is one of my best cupcakes. It is also good with cream cheese as the base, but you can't add as much because the frosting is already not as stiff. The net is full of the original recipe. There is no need to try a variation... Brennan's is the best. If you don't want to buy the banana liqueur, you can add an extract, but a premium extract is almost as much as the liqueur. The liqueur will keep longer than the extract.

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:47am
post #12 of 19

Thanks SCP, just looked up the Brennan's Bananas Foster recipe and, the thought of adding it to FBC is making my mouth water. Who needs to frost anything, just eating it with a spoon would make me happy!!! LMFAO

scp1127 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:47am
post #13 of 19

The Bananas Foster sauce is already brown. I actually make a banana cupcake, make the sauce, take out the bananas, and just use the sauce. The banana taste is strong in the leftover sauce. After the bananas are discarded, the sauce can be frozen.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 1:52am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

The Bananas Foster sauce is already brown. I actually make a banana cupcake, make the sauce, take out the bananas, and just use the sauce. The banana taste is strong in the leftover sauce. After the bananas are discarded, the sauce can be frozen.

Thank you so much!

mommie917 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:05am
post #15 of 19

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:20pm
post #16 of 19

I use fresh bananas in my buttercream - smoosh them & add a bit of lemon juice, it's fine & tastes divine and not fake tasting.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 11:48pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBakes6167

I use fresh bananas in my buttercream - smoosh them & add a bit of lemon juice, it's fine & tastes divine and not fake tasting.

i was just thinking why not that method? sounds devine! and fresh!

instant-gratificaketion Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 19

I just have to thank scp1127 for the FABULOUS suggestion. I didn't even post the original inquiry, but needed to make banana frosting as well.

I made Brennan's Bananas Foster (first time flambe-ing...so much fun), let it cool down a bit, put it in a food processor to puree it and added it to a fresh batch of SMBC.

Oh. My. Bananas! The frosting has an AMAZING depth of flavor that you definitely wouldn't get with just mashing bananas.

Thank you thank you thank you...and add like eleventy-four more thank yous! icon_smile.gif

KirasCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirasCakery Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 5:07am
post #19 of 19

Can you make the banana foster without using the liquer and rum? I don't keep alcohol on hand and would like to try to achieve the same flavor. I have heard rave reviews of the recipe! (I am also a little afraid of setting fire to my kitchen instead of just the run, lol)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%