Homemade Fondant Attempt

Baking By cakemonster7713 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 1:46am by Vanessa7

cakemonster7713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemonster7713 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:05am
post #1 of 5

ok so it was my friends daughters birthday and she wanted a really bright cake in fondant so i baked all day ( it was the day before the party ) because the cakes kept coming out weird once i was finally done it was 10 oc clock at night and i still had to make fondant ! her mom wanted homemade fondant so i made homemade fondant for my first time and it looked awful !!!!! it looked really greasy because i ran out of confectioners sugar!!!! and even more worse the fondant couldnt cover the cake !!!! i had to cover all of the spots without fondant with candie icon_razz.gif evryone sayed it taste great and looked great but i hated it !!! next time i will pratice with homemade fondant icon_rolleyes.gif it was the worst cake i have ever done icon_cry.gif!!!!!!!!!!

4 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:28am
post #2 of 5

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you expected but it is a learning process and the next time make sure you have all your ingrediants and make sure you make it the night before and let it cure. It will be much better, Happy baking icon_smile.gif

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #3 of 5

So far I've made all the fondant I've used, but I do make it well in advance and let it rest at least 24 hours, as per my teachers instructions. I really don't know why it has to rest, but I do it anyway, religiously icon_smile.gif

floursifter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floursifter Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:38am
post #4 of 5

Sorry to hear of your experience and ditto what crazboutcakes said. It is really important to make the fondant ahead and let it sit and rest. Make it even a week ahead. Seems you had too much on your hands and not enought time. Am sure your next attempt will be better and the one after that will be even better yet. Keep going.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:46am
post #5 of 5

Cakemonster,

Making fondant from scratch can be a bit tricky so don't beat yourself up over it. Since this was your first try, you may not have known that you should let the fondant rest for 24 hours before using it. I use Michelle Foster's fondant recipe and love it. Here's a link to the recipe. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3663/michele-fosters-delicious-fondant

Don't give up, just be sure to give yourself a little more time to put everything together. Decorating cakes takes longer than you think. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%