Need Help Quick Please! Rapunzel's Tower

Decorating By cakestars Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 8:25am by Lemmers

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 4

i'm working on rapunzel's tower for a cake this weekend. my plan is to wrap rkt around a wooden dowel and then use a sugar cone for the peak of the tower. well i have the rkt part completed but needed to know what everyone's thoughts of my structure are? do you think it will hold up? i don't normally do these types of structures...this is actually my first. is there a better way i could do this or should this work?

Thank you!!!!!!!

3 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:48am
post #2 of 4

Where is the cake going to be placed? If you are planning placing the cake on top of the dowel you might want to use pvc pipe or a really thick dowel with a piece of wood, washer and screw as a base for the cake.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:25am
post #3 of 4

Should hold up... my castle cake was basically just what you described. i screwed wood dowels into a cake base board (wood). wrapped with food quality saran wrap, coated with melted chocolate, then formed rkt around. I wrapped in mmf, then attached a cone wrapped in mmf. Stayed together nicely...cones stayed in place for a transport of over an hour away in 99degree temps.

Good luck!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:25am
post #4 of 4

I second the comment about using the washer and screw to hol it up, my only other thought was that another option for the towers might be pastillage wrapped around a sterilised tube of some sort? If the towers are just for effect and not to actually be eaten the pastillage would maybe give a smooth, stable finish. I guess I just always worry that the RKT will get too heavy and peel off, but I've yet to try it myself so I'm just guessing here icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%