Question About Pace & Timing

Decorating By krumbledkakes Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 10:23pm by krumbledkakes

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 3

I know this is going to seem like a silly question to most, but I'm still new to this and need a little help on how to time my cake making/decorating to be finished on a certain day.

I'm making a farewell cake for my sister, 3 tier (eek first stacked cake and man, I know I'm challenging myself!) chocolate and strawberry filling. I'm making everything from scratch and I'm just not sure on when I should start actually baking/filling/icing it before covering it with the fondant.

Her party is Friday, and I already finished the royal icing run outs for it (pic attached). Tonight I'm going to be making the huge bow that will be sitting on top. I'm assuming that I should bake, torte, fill, and ice on Wed but I'm going for a day long shopping trip with said sister to get last minute things for her wedding.

I work fairly slow, and don't want to rush around trying to get everything put on and not give the cake enough time to settle and me have to throw everything on and not have it look the way I want it to.

Would it be ok to make the cake on Tuesday: level, torte, fill, and ice Tues night and let it sit in the fridge until Thursday? Or should I just hold off altogether and make it all on Thurs? I want the cake to be tasty and not dried out or go rancid (I don't know how long they can last in the fridge icon_sad.gif ) before Friday

TY in advance for any advice, I know I'm confusing but what I'm trying to ask makes sense in my head but I don't know if I typed it out right

Here's the pic, I just remembered I still have to do the Eiffle Tower (bon voyage theme) tonight so it can dry

Edited to add- this is the 2nd and last of her going away parties (lol) its the day before she actually leaves the state and its our last good bye hurrah until the wedding. I made the cake for her first party and I want to blow that one out of the water

2 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 3

I always start a tiered/stacked cake about 3-4 days before..One day to bake and refridgerate,one to two days to put together and allow it to settle,one day to ice and decorate and arrange final decorations...The steps are crucial to allow the cake to settle so you don't get bulges.If you take your time and go slowly and do the steps and not rush and try and get the cake done in one day..It will be great..People see on TV that they ice a cake and right away plop heavy fondant on it and think this is done right away when in actuality it has been over night or a day or so later...I would never ice a fresh baked cake and cover in fondant the same day..I have never had a good result when I do this...JMO

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for! Very helpful icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%