How To Jump Start My Career?

Business By weidertm24 Updated 2 Aug 2011 , 12:28am by redvelvet4u

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 4

Well i've been really wanting to start my career in decorating but I feel I don't have enough experience to get hired as a full time cake decorator. I HATE my current job. I sit in an office and have awful hours (3-9PM). Ugh anyways. I want to be able to buy a house in the next few years and I just want to get a start on my career. Any tips or suggestions as to how to go about it? I live in an area where I don't know if there are a lot of bakeries that do the kind of work that I'm looking to do. I mean I'm sure there are but I don't even know how to go about this. I'm located about dead center between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Any suggestions and tips would be great!

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 4

I would start by doing research on your area and see what kind of opportunities there are in terms of bakeries, custom cake shops, restaurants, grocery stores, etc. that would require cake decorating services. In the meantime you can always practice on your own with cake dummies.

Not sure if you are in IL or WI or what the status is on cottage food laws in either of those states, but if selling homemade cakes is legal in your state you might be able to make some extra money on the side starting your own business. If your state does not have a cottage food law you'll probably want to stick to practicing on dummies and the occasional free cake.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:21am
post #3 of 4

Take classes or teach yourself, and apply for the job you want. You'll never regret the experience that you'll gain from working in a bakery. Much luck to you!

redvelvet4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redvelvet4u Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 12:28am
post #4 of 4

Hi, I am in a smilar position, but I actually like my job, but this is my PASSION!!.. I would not recommend anyone quit their job to start the business without first laying some groundwork to build it. It appears you have some definite finacial goals for the near future, so you probably want to maintain the security of your job. I view my job as a means to an end, and use it to help set up and grow my business as a side hustle with the goal of someday doing it full time. It is a lot of work, but in these times I would not dream of walking away without another means of support. I figure that I will consider it when I can replace at least 75% of my current income. I know of some people who drastically cut their expenses and walked away from jobs to follow thier passion, but I am too chicken for that!!! I admire them having the courage to do so, but my children like to eat, so I have to do both.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%