Baby Rump

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm by Cakeuhlicious

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 2

My neighbor requested I make a baby shower cake. However, it's on a weekend that I'm going to be out of town. So, she asked if I could make it ahead and freeze it. After thinking about it, I agreed. I figured I'll do a 9" round two layer, just a cute, but simple quilted design on the sides and a border, all buttercream, pastel blue/brown. I can put that in a box, wrap, and freeze and it should be ok.

She wants the baby rump design on top. They don't really need the servings out of cake, and since it's a make ahead I'm going to use a 6" styrofoam ball cut in half, cover it in fondant/gumpaste and do the feet and all out of fondant/gumpaste.

She has a little experience with decorating, so I figure she can handle putting the top layer on top, but I still want to make it as foolproof as possible, and have it look seemless. I'm thinking about using a thick 8" foamcore circle, covering it in fondant with a quilted design and a ribbon on the edge, and then putting the rump, legs, feet and all on that. Then it could be centered on top like a cake topper, but still have the look of a second tier.

Will this work? or just look stupid? She doesn't mind being my guinea pig on new things, but I still want it to look good!

1 reply
Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 2

The foam tier would work fine. Just used one as the "bottom tier" of a 3 tier cake this weekend because I wanted a bigger cake effect but they didnt need the servings and it looked just as it should (and it was easy peasy to work with). Its also nice that you're interested in making it so user friendly for her to assemble! I say go on with your bad self. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%