Perfect Square/flush Sides Cake...grrr...

Decorating By newnavywife Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 9:57am by jennifercullen

newnavywife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnavywife Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:28am
post #1 of 2

Can anyone offer help/advice on how to make a "perfect" square cake?

I always seem to have a large space between my stacks...I usually use two cakes per tier, leveling off to make it as flush as possible, and i "invert" stack, (top to top as the "inside" and the true flat sides as the top and bottom).

Even doing this, it seems that the corners especially have gaps, and it makes my fondant look kind of saggy because there is not really cake in those places....

should i be trimming down more, using three cakes for one tier? or am i leveling my cakes wrong?

Any tips are appreciated, and sorry if its been asked before - i didnt see a search for the forums to see if its been asked before...

Thanks!!

1 reply
jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:57am
post #2 of 2

Do you mean when you put the cakes on top of each other the corners have gaps in-between the bits that are supposed to be together? If so, you may need to level them more before you put the layers together, or you can put them together and fill in the gaps woth buttercream if thats what you are using under your fondant. In fact probably doing both of these things would work best. Or you could fill and stack then trim off a bit on the sides which might also help, but then you risk (or I would anyway) ending up with uneven sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%