Silly Question About Ganache And Buttercream Between Layers

Decorating By paula0712 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 3:33am by paula0712

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 9

So I made my cake today at 10:30am... I torted it and filled it with buttercream then let it sit covered in plastic wrap with a tile on the top until 6:30pm. I then covered my cake in ganache. My question is: will my cake have bulges through the ganache? (I made Planet Cake's ganache recipe). I haven't covered my cake in fondant yet - I normally let my cake set up with ganache overnight - but also in this case, I thought that if I did get the bulge I could ganache again... do I have anything to worry about or am I second guessing myself yet again lol? This is the first time I've used buttercream between the layers I usually use the ganache. Thank you!

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:45am
post #2 of 9

Did you pipe a dam before you filled it? I don't think you will have any problems. I have never filled a cake with ganache before so I can't comment on the differences between the two. But if you put a tile on top and let it settle for a few hours I think you'll be ok.

paula0712 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #3 of 9

No I didn't pipe a dam.... I knew I should have, but I basically just "glued" the layers together with the buttercream... so far it's not showing any bulge so maybe I'll get lucky this time...

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:52am
post #4 of 9

Actually I don't usually pipe a dam if it's just buttercream. I know that's bad but oh well. I'm sure it will be fine.

paula0712 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:00am
post #5 of 9

Thanks Annie! I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #6 of 9

The ganache will firm up and it will not bulge. I use buttercream with no dam and haven't had a problem with bulging through the ganache at all.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:38am
post #7 of 9

I agree! you'll be fine!

KatladyWA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatladyWA Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:30am
post #8 of 9

I always taught my students to put a crumb coat on before allowing it to sit. And, you learn many things by trial and error.

Giving yourself plenty of time helps. too.

paula0712 Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:33am
post #9 of 9

Thanks Everyone! It's been a couple of hours and so far so good. The ganache is setting up and no bulge!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%