Which Are The Best Clay Extruders?

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 16 Feb 2015 , 6:06pm by tricia1357

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 14

I want to purchase a clay extruder to use with fondant. I'm just wondering from everyone's experience which would be the best one.

I found two on e-bay at really decent prices. One is a Kemper K 45 and the other is a polymer clay extruder set.

I don't want to go too cheap if they are not any good. I'd appreciate your advice .

13 replies
lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 14

I have the green Makens clay extruder, it works good. I purchased it on amazon. There's one at Michaels that I want, and with a Michaels coupon it'll be pretty inexpensive. The extruder is one of my favorite tools ever! Worth every penny and then some! HTH.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 14

What makes the Makins green clay extruder the best is the fact that you twist the handle as opposed to pushing a plunger. I really like mine.
Here is tonedna's video on the differences and how to use them. I love her videos.

WeezyS Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 14

Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif
This is the one I will try. Gonna order today. Wish me luck using it! icon_rolleyes.gif

BrendaST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaST Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 14

I just bought yesterday the Wilton extruder and it seems to work very well. It has 6 different shapes to choose from. I really like it. The only part a little bit difficult is to clean it.

Overambitious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Overambitious Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 14

Swank Cake Design uses ArtWay Extruder for fondant. They bought the 1" barrel and then decided to buy the 2" barrel which also has a converter so you can use all of the Makin disks and Sugarcraft disks. It will not hurt your hands and you can extrude a very long piece in one shot.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:03am
post #7 of 14
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I have this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004478EWG/?tag=cakecentral-20

Worth every penny.

This is the extruder I just purchased. I like the way it brakes down. I did notice some rusting on the threads on the handle, and I just sprayed them with some non-stick spray after I washed and dried it.

hth

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 1:30am
post #9 of 14

I purchased the Walnut Hollow extruder from Michaels with a coupon. I love this because of the handle. It is so easy and comes in it's own case with lots of discs. It even comes with 3 extra replacement gaskets/rubber seals.

http://www.walnuthollow.com/claytools.aspx

Sandy

WeezyS Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 14

I finally got my extruder. I went to Michael's and ended up with the Willow Hollow extruder, it was the only brand they had. But it looks like a really good extruder. I like the fact that it cranks.

Now...can anyone give me some ideas of what to do with it? Just a few things you can make or design with it, cause I have no clue icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks

BrendaST Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaST Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #11 of 14

I mostly use it to make nice borders to my cakes.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #12 of 14

While at ICES in Charlotte, I purchased a food safe clay gun from ArtWay Tools - www.polymerclayexpress.com. Used it this weekend. It was a dream!! Much easier on my hands and held a lot more fondant so I could make a rope to go around a cake with only one load!! I am going to put my old one in a garage sale!!

cjlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjlovescake Posted 8 Jan 2015 , 5:12am
post #13 of 14

I was thinking of investing in an Artway extruder too. Did you purchase the 1" or 2" barrel? Is this the adapter for the 2" to use the 1" disks pictured below? Would I be able to use the 1" metal disks that I received with my Walnut Hollow extruder if I purchased the adapter?

Adapter Disk Set
  • Adapter Disk Set
  •  
  • $25.00 

tricia1357 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tricia1357 Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 6:06pm
post #14 of 14

I believe that Adapter Set will allow you to use the smaller discs that come with the Makins and also the CK ********** Gun.  I am unfamiliar with the Walnut Hollow brand.

As far as my experience, I settled on the Makins because it was available at the local hobby store with a coupon.  I found twirling the "stick" to reload to be extremely tedious and the barrel was small.  So I jumped up to the CK brand for $60.  Found it much easier to use but still a small barrel.  Then I had an opportunity to try the  Artway.  For $28 more, it is by far the best for extruding lengths that complete your cake circumference in one shot.  Plus is is much easier on your hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%