Royal Icing

Decorating By melonball Updated 5 Aug 2011 , 10:19pm by melonball

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 11

Sorry need some help again!!

I am making a cake for my Mum's birthday and she loves royal icing which I hate covering a cake with!

So I've done 2 layers (the book said too) but I cannot get it to go smooth.

Can someone please tell me if there is a way!!

(I'm doing like a vegetable patch as every time you go over you get a tour of the vegetables!!! So if you have any tips on vegetables that'll be fab too!)

10 replies
evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 11

Is it royal icing or regal icing your using?. If the its the royal are you sieving it to get out all the lumps, normally that just drizzles on smooth if its the right consistancy.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 1:55am
post #3 of 11

Masking a cake in royal icing? Am I reading that right?

I would dip my straight spatula in water and hope to do a really good job. On our cake dummies in class, some of us would go as far as using sandpaper (when it's dried) to get it smooth, but I don't think that would be appropriate for edible cake! haha

Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:23am
post #4 of 11

You're trying to frost a cake in royal icing? How are you supposed to cut through it after it dries? You'd need a band saw!

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 2:34am
post #5 of 11

In Australia icing cakes in royal icing is quite the norm. A wet spatula is your best bet.

melonball Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:33am
post #6 of 11

Yeah you read that right covering a fruit cake in royal icing! My Mum loves it and hates fondant! Luckily I won't have to cut it!!
The wet spatula seemed to take the colour out of the icing in places? I let it down a little so the sides are pretty smooth, luckily I don't need the top smooth for my design!!

Thanks for your tips

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 8:41am
post #7 of 11

Is it the right consistency?

Are you over mixing the RI? As that makes it fluffy and gives you a bubbly or rough surface rather than a smooth one. Have you "rubbed down" your icing to get rid of air bubbles?

I have Eddie Spence's book if you need any help, he is the RI master and his book is like RI's equivalent to the Bible.

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 11

in the uk we ice all our wedding cakes in royal icing and i use a wet spatula and also sand the realy rough bits down we add glycerine so that it is not too hard to cut but id far more have the american buttercream and fondant cakes

melonball Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 11

I've uploaded the finished cake...

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:08am
post #10 of 11

i think your cake is excellent, i cant believe that is royal icing well done

melonball Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 11

Ahhhh thanks so much!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif