I Just Want To Cry!

Decorating By l_rock Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 10:48pm by madcobbler

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:00pm
post #31 of 34

used this one for years, it is great and no bitter taste....we use GFS red liquid food coloring
1 pilsbury German chocolate cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 c water
1/4 c oil
1 bottle or 2T. Liquid red food coloring
3 eggs

Mix or low speed to combine, then beat for 2 minutes on high.
Bake in 2 -9inch pans or scale out for other pans

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 6:03pm
post #32 of 34

I have never attempted a red velvet cake - so I give you big props!

My mom made red velvet brownies and I thought they tasted bitter and when she gave me the recipe ...there it was a WHOLE bottle of McCormick's red food coloring. ICKOOO

Did you ever hear of using beet juice? Anyway I am in research mode to find a good tasting RV - it seems to be the rage right now.

chalk it up to lesson learned with a bonus of a nice customer thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #33 of 34

The good Martha Stewart recipes are probably the ones she stole from other people icon_lol.gif

I have to add the link to the Muppets Christmas special from years ago that cracked me up. Miss Piggy spent the entire time harassing MS, and at about 1 minute MS ALMOST loses it and yells at her about calling her flowers "plastic." She pulled it back in time, but you can see on her face that she's pissed off.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 10:48pm
post #34 of 34

Definitely use Wilton's no taste red with a Red Velvet cake. With all new cake recipes I triple test them before offering them as a choice to customers. I made a boston cream cake once for a clients friend with a bourbon vanilla instead of my usual mexican vanilla and it was way too overpowering. It's no fun when we work so hard on a cake and end up with a cake disaster. As far as using Martha Stewart's recipes I would pass. I do like her decorating style though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%