Strawberry Lemonade Cake - Looking For Recipe Suggestions

Baking By Marla84 Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 1:59am by Marla84

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make strawberry lemonade cupcakes for my birthday this year, and am wondering if anyone has any recipe suggestions. I've looked in the recipe section already and only found a few, with limited ratings/reviews. I was thinking about either doing strawberry and lemon marble cupcakes, or lemon cupcakes with strawberry filling. Not sure about the icing.

Any ideas?

5 replies
DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 6

I would do a strawberry cupcake with a lemon buttercream. I've done strawberry cake with lime buttercream and it's outstanding! I love Wilton's lemon buttercream recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter softened
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
4 cups (approx. 1 lb.) confectioner's sugar sifted
Additional lemon juice or milk (optional)
Tools:
Electric mixer
Makes: About 3 cups.

Instructions:
Step 1
In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add lemon juice and zest; beat well. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, if icing is dry, add additional juice or milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.
Step 2
Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Re-whip before using.

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 6

I made a strawberry lemonade tier on a large cake recently using lemon cake (Betty Crocker with extra lemon zest and juice of one lemon with the water), lemon IMBC filling and strawberry flavour white chocolate ganache frosting (I added strawberry Nesquik to the cream). The fun part was putting strawberry popping candy in the ganache. The solidity of the ganache stopped the candy from popping until it was actually eaten. FUN!

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 6

I absolutely ADORE the sprinkles strawberry cupcake recipe:

http://myown.oprah.com/community/library/activity.html?entity_id=208472682

Hands down the best one I have tried. You could try subbing buttermilk formilk and adding some bakingsoda to tart it up a bit or, as the other poster suggested, use a lemon buttercream to frost.

Marla84 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions! DSmo - did you use a scratch or box mix for your cupcakes?

Marla84 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:59am
post #6 of 6

Thanks again everyone. I ended up using the Sprinkles strawberry cupcake recipe with the Wilton lemon buttercream. I've never had strawberry cake, or used a scratch cupcake recipe, so it was definitely something new for me and I was pretty happy with the results. I also did a few of the cupcakes with a strawberry buttercream to compare. I preferred the lemon, but the rest of my family liked the strawberry buttercream better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%