How To Make Edible Figures?

Decorating By alanahchar Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm by cad1951

alanahchar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahchar Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 8

what do i use to make edible figures/characters? can i colour icing and use that?

7 replies
cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 8

i make my edible figures from rolled buttercream with gum tex or tylose added so they will dry faster and harder. you can color the rolled buttercream just like you color your buttercream icing. gel color works best. can use raw spaghetti sticks inside figures for support so they are completely edible. have fun!

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #3 of 8

It's looking like I have edible prairie dogs in my future so I found this on a search ---

Can I ask - what is rolled buttercream? Is it just a thicker bc? And where do you get tylose? Would Michaels have it?

thank you!! icon_smile.gif

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:05am
post #4 of 8

No. Michaels does not sell Tylose. I checked last week when I wanted to make my own gumpaste. I use gumpaste for my figurines. It works best for me.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:22am
post #5 of 8

I use fondant with tylose powder added. You can use gel colors to color the fondant. I order my tylose powder and gel colors on line.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:28am
post #6 of 8

If you don't mind me asking - where online is a good place to get them?

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:29am
post #7 of 8

I get a lot of my supplies from Global Sugar Art. They are great to work with.

cad1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cad1951 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 8

rollled buttercream is a thicker buttercream you can use for cake decorations or figures. if you want the figures to stand you need to add gum tex or tylose which can be ordered from countrykitchensa.com, or sugarcraft.com. both are great sites to order from, you can also mix the rolled buttercream with gumpaste but it will ruin the taste of the rolled buttercream which tastes like candy corn. that's why i use the gum tex or tylose, to keep the great taste in case the figures or dec. will be eaten. the more gum tex or tylose you add to your rolled buttercream, the faster it will harden so your figures stay in the position you want til eaten. so add gum tex or tylose little at a time til you get the right amount to dry as fast or hard as you want. also can make figures from rolled buttercream anytime in advance, let dry and keep in covered, cool, dry, shaded place til needed on cake. can keep for keepsakes later if wanted just store in covered, cool, dry, shaded place wrapped in scrunched up paper towels so they keep their shape. have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%