Angel Food Wedding Cake?? Can I Do That

Decorating By Sandylee05 Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 6:53am by vkat

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:13am
post #1 of 15

Bride wants a 3 tiered angelfood wedding cake. Will angelfood cake bake like a regular cake? Will that work?

Thank you for any advice or opinions.
Sandy

14 replies
Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:30am
post #2 of 15

Maybe someone else will chime in, but I think angel food cake needs to be baked in a tube pan. Not sure how you would do different sized layers, unless you can find different sized tube cake pans.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:37am
post #3 of 15

I really don't think it would hold up... but I've never tried it. It's not a cake known for having any kind of structure, hence why it has to be baked in tube pans: it can't even hold itself up without having something to stick to! icon_razz.gif

Might be worth experimenting with (with a real good support system hehe)!

How about separate tiers?

Sandylee05 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:02am
post #4 of 15

That's funny! You have a point. It can't even hold itself up. I've seen those rectangle AF cakes in the store though.
I was also thinking that it'd be impossible to get the cake out of the pan with no tube and I can't grease the pans.

Thank you!
Sandy

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:16am
post #5 of 15

Gosh I don't think it would hold up to frosting and decorations very well...you wouldn't want it to collapse. I did one years ago with a chiffon cake...but it was just a large double layer one tier for
a small wedding. Not sure if would have stacked on it...does she want it stacked? Presentation would
have to be separate for sure. Good luck!

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:45am
post #6 of 15

im gonna agree with the masses on this one. i don't see how you could stack it

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 6:34am
post #7 of 15

I agree that stacking would be an issue. Is there anyway you could convince her to do a mock angel food cake? You might have better luck with that.

Sandylee05 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 11:07am
post #8 of 15

Thankyou for your advice. If the cake flops or looks bad, it will hurt my reputation. Sometimes I don't think people know what they're asking. I'll just tell her I can't do the AF. She wants a 3 tier stacked cake. She also wants strawberries cut into heart shapes front half dipped in choc. I'm not sure about that either.

Thank you,
Sandy

Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 15

I agree with the others, but I also had a thought:

You could get creative with the stacking. I've seen some Bakers place a pole through the whole cake and even one who had one long pole that was essentially one giant screw so she could place a nut above the bottom tier, place a cake board on top do the nut was supporting the next tier and repeated the process until the top tier covered the pole and covered the top whole with flowers of a cake topper. So the cakes would be separate from each other, being supported by the nuts underneath.

And you could fit flowers or a ribbon to cover the small gaps between the tiers.

Just a thought, though it sounds like it could be expensive to do it that way.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 15

OK this isn't a stacked cake, but it certainly makes more sense than a stacked angel food cake. http://www.youtakethecake.info/

Sandylee05 Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 12:57am
post #11 of 15

Hi Narie,
I like those wedding angel food cakes. That's probably the only way it works.
Thanks,
Sandy

Classycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Classycakes Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:41am
post #12 of 15

I did it once and will never do again. First of all, when I baked it in my regular pans, the sides sort of stuck to the pan so there wasn't a nice even crust.

The bride wanted it covered in fondant but I would only agree to create it in a buttercream finish. Fondant is just too heavy for such a light porous cake. Icing it in fluffy buttercream was a nightmare. Angel food cake is jiggly, not firm like regular cake, so it was hard to spread the icing. Thankfully they were happy with the idea of a "spoon" or rough texture to the icing so I didn't have to ice it to a smooth finish.

I stacked the same way as I usually do with the wilton separator plates and hidden dowels but getting the hollow dowels through the jiggly cake was again very difficult. The cake kept moving!

It can be done but it's a very stressful project. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for them to cut and serve it to their guests. I would probably have given everyone a spoon and told them to dig in!! icon_rolleyes.gif

First and last time for me!!! When I think of angel food cake, I normally think of a dessert in a bowl with whipped cream and berries - not a tiered wedding cake!

Rainbow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:41am
post #13 of 15

I would think it would be difficult to do also. I am doing an angelfood cupcake wedding in Oct. I will use a Martha Stewart recipe for it.

Sue

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 5:26am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandylee05

Thankyou for your advice. If the cake flops or looks bad, it will hurt my reputation. Sometimes I don't think people know what they're asking. I'll just tell her I can't do the AF. She wants a 3 tier stacked cake. She also wants strawberries cut into heart shapes front half dipped in choc. I'm not sure about that either.

Thank you,
Sandy

where the heck did she get the idea for the heart-shaped strawberries?
And only the front dipped in chocolate? Strawberries are the worst for breaking down into a runny mess. If they are cut and not completely coated in chocolate I can't imagine what they'd look like after an hour or so! Yikes!

vkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vkat Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 6:53am
post #15 of 15

Wilton came out with a new stand, Towering Tiers Cake Stand

The stand looks like the same idea as Transformergirl was explaining?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%