Sticking Fondant Accents To Buttercream?

Decorating By Torimomma Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 1:28am by Torimomma

Torimomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torimomma Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 6

I finally finished all the fondant flowers and a plaque for my DDs cake tomorrow and now I'm filling and settling the layers. I will be putting the cake in the refrigerator overnight to set and then I want to add the fondant accents tomorrow.

My question is, will my decorations stick to the buttercream on their own? I have a plaque to wrap around the middle layer which is mostly dry and formed into a curve by the side of the pan. The flowers will go randomly around the perimeter of the cake. I really don't want them to fall off!

5 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 6

Put a little water or vanilla or vodka (I use vodka) on the back of the fondant to make it sticky. The flowers will not fall off then.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 6

If you have buttercream left over you can attach them with that. I also like to use piping gel as well.

You can use water or vanilla, but make sure you use either sparingly. If you put to much on there they can either slide, or the fondant can start to get gooey.

Torimomma Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

I like the piping gel idea. The cake has to travel so I can put that in my pocket and bring it along!

Thanks!

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 6

I always use piping gel. It has worked the best for me. I feel like its a little stronger of a glue than vodka or water and not as messy as buttercream. icon_smile.gif All my cakes are buttercream with fondant decorations.

Torimomma Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:28am
post #6 of 6

Party is over and no cake disasters! My cake was refrigerated overnight and then and 2 hours before the party I took it out and attached the fondant accents with piping gel and I only lost one little side flower in transit. Just popped that little sucker back on. Thanks for the help!

I tried to attach a picture but it isn't working. Anyone interested it is the white and red "Olivia" cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%