Dense Cupcake Anyone?

Baking By GuiltyPleasures Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 6:02am by GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 8

I am looking for a good dense/heavy cupcake recipe that is also moist. Does anyone have a tried and true favorite for this? Preferably in white, yellow, or chocolate. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

7 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley5260 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley5260 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 8

I've been getting the exact result (unwanted) you describe by using the WASC method, more specifically some of the flavors on MacsMoms list using coffee creamer in place of the liquid. After some testing, it seems that I was not mixing it enough therefore not getting the light and fluffy textture I was after. I would suggest trying one of those recipes and mixing less than you normally would.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=df4f9hbq_46cs9f28fs&pli=1

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

Try a Mud Cake recipe - I think Bluehue posted one here but a brief google search should bring up loads. Lovely heavy, dense cake but super moist since they have so much chocolate in. You can use white, dark or milk chocolate but also add fruit and things. Yum.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 8

If you have any poundcake recipes, those should work well. Make sure not to over bake and they will be dense and moist!

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 8

I made the chocolate mud cake recipe from Planet Cake's book and it was dense and heavy but really moist.

GuiltyPleasures Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 8

Great suggestions. Thank you. Off to the kitchen I go... icon_smile.gif

GuiltyPleasures Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:02am
post #8 of 8

shanter: That chocolate recipe looks heavenly. I have bookmarked it to try later.

Ashley5260: Thank you! I did some slight modifications but ultimately the use of milk or coffee creamer for liquid and mixing it just until things were moistened (about a minute total) got me exactly what I was looking for. All the other ideas were also good, but I like the idea of being able to stay with a modified WASC batter just because it is so versatile and I really like the flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%