Gumpaste People & Figures (Andreas Sweet Cakes Canada)

Decorating By evans000 Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 9:12am by sillyoldpoohbear

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:52am
post #1 of 5

Hi guys, i am making a fireman sam truck and would like to do a figure of sam to stand next to the fire engine so i tried it. I was very impressed with it but it needs to be in more detail, and his hands a litte bit smaller.

I mentioned andreas sweet cakes as her name was mentioned on a post, so i decided to look at her work on flickr OMG it is near perfection her work is beautiful. It is in sooooo much detail and the figures are so smooth no flaws or fingerprints.

How can this be done some of her figures are tiny but in so much detail.

Does anyone know of any tutorials any links of books that could help me? (unfortunately andrea hasnt done any tutorials yet) i looked on youtube but struggled to find a tutorial of her standard.

I know you get better with practice but i am very frustrated as there is nobody of that standard to learn from in my area. All the local decoraters buy in there cake toppers, ive seen my tutor make animals for cupcake but they are so basic.

Any advice would be great

4 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:35am
post #2 of 5

The best book I've seen on figures is "Fun & Original Children's Cakes" by Maisie Parrish I especially love the clothing she makes for her figures. I use a damp sponge and lots of toothpick or skewers. When making small details I dampen the pick on the sponge to pick up the tiny pieces of gum paste like buttons, eyes, zippers etc.. and a tiny paintbrush to paint o eyebrows, lashes... The paintbrush is also good for picking up tiny pieces that must retain the shape, the hairs of the brush . And yes, nothing can replace practice.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:40am
post #3 of 5

The best book I've seen on figures is "Fun & Original Children's Cakes" by Maisie Parrish I especially love the clothing she makes for her figures.
I use a damp sponge and lots of toothpick or skewers. When making small details I dampen the pick on the sponge to pick up the tiny pieces of gum paste like buttons, eyes, zippers etc.. and a tiny paintbrush ( there is like 15 hairs on my tiny brush )to paint eyebrows, lashes... The paintbrush is also good for picking up tiny pieces that must retain their shape. I have also discovered that molds that are made for acrylic nails decoration are great for lace trim on clothing. And yes, nothing can replace practice.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 8:11am
post #4 of 5

I have all of Ann Pickard's books. She is fabulous!

http://www.icingcentre.co.uk/

I first met her at the Cottenham Exhibition in East Anglia. She demos there and it is unbelievable how quick and easy she makes it look. With the books, I have been able to do figures like I never thought I would. She also has DVD's. I'm going back to get the wedding one this year. She teaches you how to do drapes etc.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:12am
post #5 of 5

I love andreas work & would love to take a class with her.

Have you seen Lorraine Mckays tutorials she does amazing figures too & workshops in the UK. She is such a lovely lady. You can find everything here http://www.extraicing.co.uk

You can also find her here on cc as aine2 http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-44194.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%