Fear Factor Birthday Cake

Decorating By Briarview Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 10:34pm by Briarview

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a Fear Factor Birthday Cake for my grandson who will be 10.
I know what I am doing for the cake and top, I have made FEAR FACTOR words on the top and a black and yellow helicopter with bugs etc scattered. Around the sides of the cake I have plastic containers, one with worms and a head protruding out but I also wanted to have the yellow car plunging into water.
Yesterday I made the car out of fondant, yellow with black wheels and thought what could I use for the water. I sprayed to car to seal and made blue gelatine jelly , set it and then placed car nose down in the jelly. Of Course when I got up this morning the car had started to melt so that was not a good idea. HELP. Can anyone suggest how I can make it look like water with the car nose down in it. Piping gel is out too! Please.

4 replies
BabyGSR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGSR Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 5

Hrm, what if you use a hot wheel toy car instead?

this sounds like a pretty cool cake already.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 5

Why not use fondant as well, and paint it with a confectioner's glaze to make it look wet?

I saw this pic the other day, and that's what I think she did with the coffee:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1858324

Or just use tinted buttercream?

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 5

Actually, I just looked again and she used piping gel, but I think a glaze would achieve the same look...or that small amount of piping gel might not make a difference...

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 5

I did think of a toy car but didn't really want to put anything that wasn't made from fondant. I wanted to see the bottom of the car in the water so the fondant idea and glazed is out but a good idea. Have actually used cellophane scrunched up and it doesn't look too bad. Thanks for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%