First Cake Order!

Decorating By Gyngr Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 12:37am by Gyngr

Gyngr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gyngr Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 7

I have my very first cake order of a barbie doll!!

A friend of a friend saw my doll cake and showed it to her friend who wanted one for her niece...
I have a couple of questions:

How in the world do I charge for this cake? How do you know how to charge for ingredients when you don't use the whole packet-- and time?

How is the best way to hand over the cake? I don't want to give her my dish.

Any tips on the cake...it's for her nieces and all she said was she wanted a chocolate cake...

Thanks for your feedback!

6 replies
paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 7

When I do a barbie doll cake I use the Wilton wonder mold pan. It takes a 2-layer mix (which is typically 12-15 servings) and I charge by the serving amount. I also use a doll from the dollar store I just take legs off and push the torso into the cake. I also charge for the doll. I just place the doll on an 8" round cake board as well.

Gyngr Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 7

Aaaah....Great! Thanks Paula.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 7

no problem!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 7

I did my first Barbie princess cake a few weeks ago (in my photos). The mother of the little girl bought the Barbie she wanted to use and gave it to me. Instead of just jamming the doll in, I covered her lower torso with saran wrap THEN jammed her in like a big dowel! My description kind of goes into a lot of detail about the number of pans I used...this was a pretty tall doll.
I would charge $50 which is about the going rate for a Barbie cake around these parts. It doesn't feed a whole lot, but little girls don't usually eat huge pieces of cake. It's a 3-D cake basically and I think it should be charged as such.

Oh, I also put her on a 10" round board and then put pink 'bling' around the sides.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with carmijok. I normally start that cake around $50 and thats for my standard cake flavor. If they choose a premiere or my combination flavors it goes up.
It's super easy to do....all the advice you have been given is great too. Good luck...it feels super good to make some money on your creations.

Gyngr Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:37am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much for this feedback...much appreciated! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%