Tiered Cake Transportation?

Decorating By BeeSweetBakeshoppe Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm by josilind

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make the cake for my in-laws' 40th wedding anniversary. With ~50-75 people, I plan to make a 3-tiered cake decorated in fondant. Here comes the tricky part....I live in Dallas, and the party is in houston icon_eek.gif !

What is the best way for me to transport the cake? I'm thinking....bake and decorate each tier with the buttercream/fondant, then pack separately into different cake carriers and assemble when I get there? I am going to be planning a pretty simple fondant design with a few flowers but nothing too fancy because of the transport issue.

My car is air conditioned, but I am still a little worried about the heat...but I don't want any condensation on my fondant! Lastly, I know I'm going to need to add dowels to the cake to support it, but should I wait to put those in until I am at the venue? As in, measure and cut the dowels beforehand and bring along with me, and then insert once there?

I can't be the only crazy person that has tried to do something like this...help!

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 8

Just use SPS. You'll be fine. You can take something that small fully assembled.

josilind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josilind Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 8

you are on the right track..measure and cut your dowels and place before you leave...place each cake in an individual box...use the non slip mat that you can find in the housing section at the store that carries the shelf liners, and place a piece of that non slip mat under the cake in the box and lay a piece under each box in your car

and assemble when you get there.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 8

I've delivered up to 4 tier cakes fully assembled. SPS all the way! thumbs_up.gif Last weekend temps were 111 with the heat index. I make sure the air conditioning is blasting and put pull down shades on all my back windows.

BeeSweetBakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeSweetBakeshoppe Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 8

Sorry...what is SPS? I'm relatively new to tiered/fondant cakes and I don't want to mess anything up!

josilind Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 8

It is where you use the plates with the plastic dowel rods that lock into each other

josilind Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 8

You will place the hidden pillars into the cake, like dowel rods. place each cake onto a separator plate, same size as the cake and snap the little feet on the bottom of the sep. plate into the dowel rods.

you may have a little space in between each layer after snapping them in but you can easily cover it by piping icing around the tiers or if you are using ribbon, you can just cover that space up that way also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%