Sick!....should I Tell?

Decorating By KNHKakes Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 1:03am by cabecakes

KNHKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KNHKakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:44pm
post #1 of 9

I am working on a wedding cake for tomorrow,baked and partially decorated, and I have caught a cold. Runny nose and cough, no fever. Should I call my customer and let her know, in case she wants to bow out, or should I just let her discover this when I deliver cake tomorrow. I am being very careful not to cough or breath to much on it. Not sure what to do???

8 replies
BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 9

I'm no doctor but if it was me I'd take a daytime cold tablet and wear a mask to keep from unexpected sneeze germs.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 9

Dayquill STAT.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 9

Do you have anyone you could call to come and help? If I were the bride, I would not want to get a call like that the day before my wedding. Also, remember that most people do not understand food borne illnesses, and wouldn't think anything about you having a cold - she probably would say "sure, go ahead with it".

It is your business that you must think about because you are informed and know how your little cold could make everyone sick. That being said, I worked many times, wearing a mask, washing my hands constantly, wearing gloves. When you are the only baker/designer for a retail bakery, the show must go on. (for those who would be offended by that, know that I NEVER worked while stomach or intestinal sick)

Could you wear a mask to cover mouth and nose?
You probably won't see her tomorrow while setting up the cake (often a cold is worse day one and not so bad after that) If you think you will see her, can someone else do the setting up?

FEEL BETTER!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 9

I agree..It is a little late in the game to call her and say..I'm sick I can't finish the cake...Take a cold tablet and wear a mask and finish it...deliver it..She probably won't be there to receive the cake as most bride's aren't anyways.Try not to sneeze and snivel too much..Things happen..you can't predict when you are going to get sick!Good luck and feel better!!

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:35am
post #6 of 9

Yup finish it, don't call.

Wash hands frequently, wear a mask and take some cold medicine.

Feel better!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:46am
post #7 of 9

I agree with the above posters. Wedding cakes are important, especially to the bride. If you were hit by a mac truck, yeah, ask someone to give the bride a call. But if all you have is the sniffles, take precautions (as above), and finish the cake per the signed contract. Hope you feel better!

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 12:54am
post #8 of 9

Wear the mask and gloves, follow the double handwashing procedure, and take cold medicine. Most health departments prohibit food preparation if you are vomiting or have diarrhea.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:03am
post #9 of 9

I agree...the cake show must go on...but please take all necessary precautions. If I were the bride, I wouldn't want that call the night before the wedding. Not for the sniffles, now if you were in the ER suffering from a heart attack or something serious I would forgive it, but for the sniffles...I want my cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%