Pme Cake Cards, Ever Use Them? Help

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 5

I used these for a 3 tier cake, was planning to assemble when i get there but now im realizing I really should assemble now!

Yo drive with it I was assuming I should have a dowel running all they way through, problem is those cake cards are tough! I am about to head to the hardware store to hopefully find a long drill bit...I am scared to even try hammering in a wooden down without a starter hole.... what do you think???

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 5

I use these cards and use a drill to make a hole for using SPS - they are too tough to try and wangle a hole with a braddle or similar. I don't use a centre dowel and have never tried.

If you can't find a long drill bit (assume you mean one to go through the entire cake??) then you should be able to suspend your cakes on something and be able to drill holes from below in each tier (with a brand new regular size drill bit). But if your cake is already stacked I'm not sure...I think it would take some hammering to get a dowel through...

CiNoRi Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I use these cards and use a drill to make a hole for using SPS - they are too tough to try and wangle a hole with a braddle or similar. I don't use a centre dowel and have never tried.

If you can't find a long drill bit (assume you mean one to go through the entire cake??) then you should be able to suspend your cakes on something and be able to drill holes from below in each tier (with a brand new regular size drill bit). But if your cake is already stacked I'm not sure...I think it would take some hammering to get a dowel through...

Thanks for your input, i went up to the store and found bits that could work (going thru the entire cake - i was worried about doing each one separately for fear of it not lining up), but then i chickened out. I was worried that bits of cake card would get into the cake or even worse, that the bit would bind and cause damage to the entire cake... id rather try that out on my own test cake first i think.

So came back and decided to give the hammering idea a try... had another cake card and tested it out, felt as though i didn't have to work to hard to get it through... so i stacked the cake and prayed!

It worked! To be sure i used my usual bubble tea straws, but reinforced a few with the same size wooden dowels. I used a long bamboo skewer for the center dowel... it being thinner than the average dowel (also bamboo being rather sturdy for it's size), and at a nice sharp point helped. I was to worried to use thicker dowel for fear of it shifting durring the hammer <which i tend to do, normal cardboard rounds give a bit , but with these cake cards, didn't want to press my luck.

I think that center support should be just enough for the drive, i figured people travel with the SPS systems set up and that uses just a tiny nub of plastic to hold each tier... for this i have 2 cake cards, and going through the cake drum.

I will still say my prayers durring the drive though!!!
Thanks!!!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 5

I'm glad it worked for you! I would also be wary about hammering through the cake, despite what people say about it being fine icon_biggrin.gif

CiNoRi Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

I'm glad it worked for you! I would also be wary about hammering through the cake, despite what people say about it being fine icon_biggrin.gif

Oh im sure i OVER supported this cake, but hey i dont take no chances!!!!
LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%