Cake And Filling For Lactose Intolerant Kiddo!!

Baking By kurky Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 11:36pm by secondbase

kurky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurky Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 6:11am
post #1 of 6

A friend of mine called me about making a cake for her daughter's first birthday but the little girl is lactose intolerant and I have no idea what to do . . . she wants chocolate cake with strawberry filling. Is that possible?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:20am
post #2 of 6

Easy. Just sub rice or soy milk, depending on what she can have.

secondbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
secondbase Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 6

I'm vegan and always use almond milk in my recipes. I find that soymilk is 2nd best, with rice milk last. Earth Balance makes a very good vegan margarine that works well in buttercream (or you can use all shortening). HTH

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 3:47am
post #4 of 6

Everything we make is dairy-free (except cream cheese frosting) -- we also use soy milk and Earth Balance vegan margarine to replace regular milk and butter. You can even make dairy-free cream cheese frosting using Tofutti soy-based cream cheese.

kurky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kurky Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 4:55am
post #5 of 6

Thank you, I am by no means a pro and am just learning as I go! icon_smile.gif

secondbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
secondbase Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 6

Tofutti cream cheese frosting is actually quite good, and I haven't ever had any complaints from non-vegans when serving it. By itself, the cream cheese has a bit of an "off" taste, but the end result is absolutely delicious! Tofutti also makes a non-dairy sour cream (and it works in the WASC recipe!). I can find all of those products at Kroger! I even saw Earth Balance at Walmart recently. If you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats near you, you can find an incredibly large section of dairy replacements with everything ranging from cheese to sour cream, yogurt to milk! I use coconut milk in any place that calls for heavy cream. You can use a soy or coconut milk based coffee creamer as well, but they aren't quite as thick and fatty! Coconut milk does not whip like heavy cream does, so you can't use them interchangably in that instance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%