A Line On My Fondant Where The Buttercream Is!!!

Decorating By mylin35 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 3:40am by mylin35

mylin35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mylin35 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:18am
post #1 of 15

help meeeeeeeeeee! i hope somebody can answer my question! icon_sad.gif

everytime i put the fondant, a few minutes later, it looks like the buttercream whant to run away out of the cake ahahah! i.e there is a line on the side icon_sad.gif((( can someboby know what im doing wrong???

1)frozen the cake 2)put the buttercream on the frozen cake and put it in the fridge 3) after a night, i take the cake and put the fondant on the cold cake ?????? : ((((

mama miaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! i,d like to know.........

14 replies
Loloface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loloface Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:32am
post #2 of 15

If it were me, I wouldn't put fondant over a cold/frozen cake. When the cake comes back up to room temperature, the buttercream sweats, and that much moisture underneath your fondant is probably what is giving you trouble.

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #3 of 15

...also, your cake may have a hard time settling as once the cake is cold, its firm all the way through, making the BC and cake stiff enough to stand up and not settle. If using a perishable filling that MUST stay fridged, I would do the slight squish method, then put a cake board on top, and wrap tightly, being sure to keep some pressure down on the cake to emphasize settling and weight of icing! HTH! Also, are you using a dam? Even BC only filled cakes need a dam!

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #4 of 15

I was told a cold cake can't settle, so if your icing your cakes frozen and placing them in the fridge...... as your putting the fondant on it, its probably coming to room temp and settling causing the butter cream to create the bump. Try letting the cake come to room temp, place something heavy on it like a ceramic plate and let it sit for about an hour. That should elimination the bluge problem.

mylin35 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 15

so if i understand: you put the buttercream on a cake at room temperature and let settle at room temperature????

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:05am
post #6 of 15

Yes. Once it has settled you can place it back in the fridge. You should be able to cover a cold cake in fondant with no problems....after it has settled.

mylin35 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:33am
post #7 of 15

so one hour at room temperature and then i can put it in the fridge? when i put the fondant..... it can be cold? (sorry for my english im french canadian hahah)

and a dam? how can i do that???

thank you everybody for helping me!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_smile.gif

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:46am
post #8 of 15

A dam is when you pipe a thick line of butter cream around the edge of the cake then fill with your filling. If you are using straight buttercream as your filling then you don't need to dam but if you are using a filling, like fruit or a pudding/cream then you would pipe a dam around the perimeter so the filling won't squish out of the cake. After you have filled the cake firmly press down the top layer to remove any possible air bubbles which can cause your filling layer to bulge when the cake settles. When you have completely filled your cake and before you put the crumb coat on try setting a piece of tile (12x12) on top of the cake and let settle for about 30 min to 1 hour. That should take care of your bulging problem when you cover with fondant.

mylin35 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:25am
post #9 of 15

and after an hour, you can directly put the fondant without putting the cake in the fridge.....?

sorry, im a beginner and i reaaaaaaaally whant to understand mouahahha!

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 15

Sorry... after your cake has settled (30 min/1 hr at room temperature) you can crumb coat and either let that sit out to naturally crust or you can put it in the fridge to rush the buttercream to crust. After your buttercream has crusted (nothing come off on your finger if you touch it) then you are ready to cover with fondant.

mylin35 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:47am
post #11 of 15

wow! i hgave to try this!!!!!!!!!! thank youuuuuuuuuuu!

and if i let it crust in the fridge.... do i have to what at room temperature before i put the fondant? lolol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mylin35 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #13 of 15

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! thank youuuuuuuuuuuu! thank you everybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

can,t whait to try this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mylin35 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:40am
post #14 of 15

so i try! i thought i,d have a tile in my basement but i didnt icon_sad.gif so i take a boo..... hummm....... too heavy? my cake was lower........

mylin35 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:40am
post #15 of 15

book and not boo lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%