When To Start Charging For Certain Things?

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 28 Jul 2011 , 11:43pm by fedra

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #1 of 5

So, I don't have a ton of experience yet. I'm slowly building my portfolio and I don't do a great deal of advertising. I have done a few cakes for our church at baby showers, etc. I have also done some for close family. I want/need some more experience but for instance my church is used to NOT paying me for the cakes. How/when do I make the gradual transition to charging OR what is an adequate portfolio to feel like I CAN charge. How many cakes do you have to make to feel comfortable charging most people?

4 replies
myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 3:24am
post #2 of 5

I would say as long as you are a legal business your cakes are good enough to charge. The cakes in your album look great! I'm by no means a pro but I have looked at lots of cake. icon_smile.gif You have made lots of progress. Be careful about who expects free cakes.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:59am
post #3 of 5

I'm going to say the obvious... when you satisfy you health department requirements.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 5

You could use the food registration thing as your reason to start charging, in fact its a perfect excuse..."You're after a cake? that's great!...I'm pleased to be registered & licensed to sell cakes now, so let me know what you're after and I'll be happy to quote a price for you." or something along those lines - you get the idea (and so will they!)

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 5

I like the previous posters response and since you say that you are not too experience (although you're pics look great!) then you could also add: Since you guys have been so supportive, I'm also gonna throw in a family and friends discount (doesn't have to be a major discount!). HTH
Fedra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%