How To Smooth Out Scratches On Gum Paste

Decorating By Charmed Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm by Charmed

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:10am
post #1 of 8

Is there any way to smooth out rough spots and scratches on a dried piece of gum paste? I made a plaque and it is not smooth and has some scratches on it. I know cracks on fondant can be smoothed out with shortening, but is there any way to smooth out scratches on dried gum paste?

7 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:28am
post #2 of 8

I've had success by making a "spackle" with some leftover GP and water. Just use it to fill in the cracks, smoothing as much as possible and allow to dry.

HTH

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 8

I have smoothed out some tiny scratches with tylose glue. I just brush over it a lot until it's smooth then let it dry again. But, these have been small scratches. Hope that can be of some help.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 8

Brand new nail file. Works like a charm on rough flower edges as well. thumbs_up.gif

Charmed Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:18am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I've had success by making a "spackle" with some leftover GP and water. Just use it to fill in the cracks, smoothing as much as possible and allow to dry.

HTH

I tried gumpaste and water and heated in microwave and applied it to the gum paste piece but didn't work for me. Is there any other spackling paste to use( I mean edible!!) icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:28am
post #6 of 8

Depending on how deep the scratches are, steaming works really well. Just don't touch the surface until it's thoroughly dried afterwards, because it will be sticky.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 1:43am
post #7 of 8

I've never heated it, so I'm not sure if that's the problem.

I just use a piece of the left over gp that hasn't hardened, mix it with some water to form a thick "glue" like substance and use a paint brush to apply it in the tiny cracks.

I use my finger to smooth it as much as possible so that it blends in.

How big are the cracks in the piece you need to repair?

Charmed Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 8

I have couple of deep cracks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%