Cake Smoother Where Do I Find One?????

Baking By angelleyes Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm by angelleyes

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 7

I've been looking everywhere for a big cake smoother to get the nice clean edges. So far I haven't been able to find one... I've looked a Micheals and Joann's with no luck. Any suggestions of where I should look or a website I can go to?

Ty for the help
Bev

6 replies
rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 7

You may think this is crazy but try your local paint or hardware store. I use a spackle blade or knife and I also use a long narrow paint shield. I have several sizes that I like to use. I'm still a beginner so I've not achieved the exact look I want but several of my cake mentors shared this secret and I've found them very helpful. Maybe these tools will work for you too.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 7

Micheals always fondant smoothers if that what your looking for..Ask someone.. They are usually hidden or 'in the back' If you need it for it to smooth buttercream rpaige is right hardware store all the way!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 7

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=911&s=&name=TOOLS%20&%20EQUIPMENT/Smoothers

And yes, hardware store...spackle knives. I hope you're talking for buttercream?

Even at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004YNLV/?tag=cakecentral-20

But it might be better if your smoother has a straight side on bottom too, not slanted, so that you can hold it straight.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with rpaige, there are quite a few tools from the local hardware or paint stores that have been a great help to me as well.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 7

A drywall knife can be really wide--I've found them up to 12 inches, and no rounded corners. Also, my bench scraper, in kitchen (not necessarily baking) supplies, has square corners and is 6 inches wide.

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 7

Ty very much for all the ideas.. I thought I might would have to go to the hardware store. I just wanted to be sure that I was going crazy lol.
I have all the spatula's and a fondant smoother and seen other tools used that I could never find. Once again ty icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%