Never Used Cake Dummies! Can You Help?

Decorating By GaPeach2430139 Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 5:27pm by Crazboutcakes

GaPeach2430139 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GaPeach2430139 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a 6 tier wedding cake in which 2 of the tiers will be dummy layers, preferably the 2 bottom layers, requested by the bride. I am planning 6, 8, 10, 12 real layers and then 14, 16 dummy layers. My question is will the cake itself be sturdy enough with the fake layers on bottom? And will it be a top-heavy risk? Please advise!
This is a link to the cake. This one was made with real cake but I wont need this much cake this time.

http://cakecentral.com//gallery/1570292

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 4

It should be every bit as strong/sturdy as the one you linked to. No need for any support in those lower dummy tiers - only in the real cake.
Will it be top heavy? Hard to say. In my mind it could be so transport needs to be slow, and very careful. No tight turn! icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 4

I had a disaster with dummy cakes while carrying the wedding cake up the steps...three were real cake (top three tiers) and two bottom layers were dummies...BUT the BIGGEST DUMMY of all was me! It was top heavy and tipped as I was carrying it...no cake left 12 hours before the wedding, so I made three more cakes and iced them again (was also the caterer at this 250 guests wedding, so I had to quickly hire 3 more people to take up the catering slack)...lesson learned: dummy cakes on top, not the bottom.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 4

By looking at the photo, If I were to use the 2 bottoms as dummies whats to say they would not slide off each other or your center cake (12") not to slide from the 14"? I would for my own sanity sake put one large dowel through all of the cakes (1/2") and than use the normal process of stacking the cakes too. That is alot of cake not to be supported from the bottom to secure the top, just my opion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%